My small loft.

Green_bhoy

large.tmp1301064267.jpgIm looking at building a grow box for my small attic which has already been insulated by the previous owners. The attic is quite small. I'll upload a photo so you can see.

I would like to make it 1.2 m by 1.2 m wide. 

The measurement from top to bottom in the middle of the roof is 1.3m.

The walls would be about 70cm then angle up to 1.3m.

I would need to build a frame and properly seal everything. 

For walls Im not sure what to use. OSB board or ply?

Still in early stages and would like some feed back before I attempt to build.

I would like to use a 600w air-cooled hood in the box with a 6" fan outtake and 5" for intake. 

Looking at autopots with Coco for my next grow. I mostly grow autos.

Green_bhoy.

Edited by Green_bhoy

Hello @Green_bhoy I'm in near enough the exact situation your in, my loft is even smaller though (100cm tall) I can fit a secret jardin dp90 (propergater tent) in my space (60cm x 60cm x 90cm) which I plan to pop on its end so I get 90cm of height altogether, Ive had so much help from various folk on here and should be able to get a 4" carbon filter and fan and a 250w hps in there with very low wide pots for a lst then scrog grow for a maximum of 3 plants, I'm using Dutch Passion AutoFem White widow and am germinating in 5 days, I imagine with your height restrictions, you'll only get a 400w hps in at maximum (providing the temps are kept right) I'm still very new to this but have a lot of advice from @blackpoolbouncer who is amazing with autos!! Check his diary's! Hope I helped a bit! Tom.

Hello @Green_bhoy I'm in near enough the exact situation your in, my loft is even smaller though (100cm tall) I can fit a secret jardin dp90 (propergater tent) in my space (60cm x 60cm x 90cm) which I plan to pop on its end so I get 90cm of height altogether, Ive had so much help from various folk on here and should be able to get a 4" carbon filter and fan and a 250w hps in there with very low wide pots for an lst then scrog grow for a maximum of 3 plants, I'm using Dutch Passion AutoFem White widow and am germinating in 5 days, I imagine with your height restrictions, you'll only get a 400w hps in at maximum (providing the temps are kept right) I'm still very new to this but have a lot of advice from @blackpoolbouncer who is amazing with autos!! Check his diary's! Hope I helped a bit! Tom.

• Like 1

@Autosinsummer my old setup was a dr60 with 250w hps with 5" ruck. Used a str fan controller.

I'm going to do a little more researching on this one. Would love to use a 600w rather than a 400w. 

Was going to buy the maxi bright goldstar air-cooled reflector or the supernova air-cooled reflector. Also a 600w dimmable ballast.

With that space I'd go vertical, mesh on the walls and do a vertical scrog, a 600w would be fine in that config no need for a aircooled shade,  a inline carbon filter could be placed outside the space saving you some room in the growing space

thats as tight as a nuns nanny for a 600W   lol  more like a 400w or a 315w CMH

but it could be done tho you'd have to make a wire cage for the lamp to hang in, the wire cage stops the plants from growing inwards & burning on the lamp if they touch.

• Like 2

I wouldn't use a 600 in there unless I was growing vertical. You might be able to get away with a vertical 600w cooltube in the middle and train plants around it. Would be tight mind and might still get hot in the summer.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you know what the max and min temps are in your loft compared to the temps in your house? - if your loft space is insulated your box may not need a great deal... 

heres a couple of thoughts from building a box in my loft (my box internal dims: 850 w x 450 d x 1000 t) 

1) I built my box from a 30x30mm timber skeleton  and then clad it with 100mm polystyrene, this was a ball ache. 

Come the summer I had put another 50mm insulation over the whole thing to keep the temps down. 

Your box is somewhat bigger than mine, I would make a timber frame and reinforce all corners with plywood gussets then clad with insulation board

p026.gif

Id go with LED for your lighting if your max head room is 1.2M - better spread and less heat - you have 2 options -

Quantum boards  - 

or COBs (shamless plug)

• 4 years later...

Did op ever set up in this loft?

i have a similar size space and need advice

Edited by Bobcharlieeeee