breeder finishing times versus desired trich ripeness?

samhigh

when we all look for strains we all take a hard look at the estimated finishing times. then there is our personal trich ripeness we like cloudy amber etc...

so if it is a 8 week strain and your trichs are ready in seven do you sacrifice the weight  (most weight gain in last two weeks)for trichs?

do you count from light switch to 12-12 or actual buds,average around 2 weeks?

would love to get your opinion on this, sometimes your finishing time depends on how full your jars are lol

• Like 2

Great topic mate and will love other members feedback :)

Personally I have always counted my bloom stage from the day I flip :) and I harvest when the trichomes are at the right point for me :)

As I like a good 30% amber trichomes most if not all of the weight is on by this time :yep:

All the best 

Mark. 

Edited by Owderb
Quote removed
  • Like 3

Its very rare your trichs will be ready and your plant isn't. They go hand in hand and you start counting from the day you go 12/12

If your trichs are ready then your plant won't pack anything on

Owd

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Owderb said:

Its very rare your trichs will be ready and your plant isn't. They go hand in hand and you start counting from the day you go 12/12

Owd

:yep:

All the best 

Mark. 

52 minutes ago, Owderb said:

Owd

so your saying if you like cloudy trichs it wont gain anymore weight if you let it go longer to go amber ? I don't think anyone takes them with the same ripeness every time even with a scope. 

• Like 1

Very little after they are mostly cloudy seeing as thats a good sign of ripeness. A bit yes but not loads. Also its worth noting that not all strains get amber trichs

Owd

• Like 3

there is a harvest window for each plant when should you take them for optimal weight ?

Edited by Owderb
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Owderb said:

Very little after they are mostly cloudy seeing as thats a good sign of ripeness. A bit yes but not loads. Also its worth noting that not all strains get amber trichs

Owd

great info, when our plant is mostly cloudy not much more weight will be gained such as fruit,  and mostly cloudy will be diffrent per phenol. some strains keep throwing out new pistils to the end so pistil color is an estimate also. thanks for sharing your knowledge. 

• Like 1

Packing on weight is not packing up on bang for buck.   Weight bears no relation to strength.  Trichome production has taken place already, it's merely the maturation and oxidisation of the trichs that is changing.  The buds may swell but that's a moot point as it's only giving more chlorophyllic  fibrous mass.  

And as previously mentioned the chances of having 20% amber on an unswollen immature bud is unheard of.

AFAIK. 

Sorry if this makes no sense or is in the wrong thread.  King hasan just sucker punched me on the cranium.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Packing on weight is not packing up on bang for buck.   Weight bears no relation to strength.  Trichome production has taken place already, it's merely the maturation and oxidisation of the trichs that is changing.  The buds may swell but that's a moot point as it's only giving more chlorophyllic  fibrous mass.  

And as previously mentioned the chances of having 20% amber on an unswollen immature bud is unheard of.

AFAIK. 

Sorry if this makes no sense or is in the wrong thread.  King hasan just sucker punched me on the cranium.

I totally agree more isn't always better, weight has no bearing for me its about effect and taste etc... but I would prefer to get the most I can of my favorite bud . imo mostly cloudy is optimal for weight and effect for me, great to hear other opinions thanks for the input.

• Like 2

Cloudy boom done ! If there's a good few ambers bonus.

Cbd cropping time seems to be a bit more debatable with a lot of breeders actually testing these days I think its starting to look better actually taking these strains early before they reach peak density and ripeness due to the fact cbd is the precursor to THC I've not actually grown a cbd strain though any thoughts on that one ? 

• Like 1

On 09/03/2017 at 0:27 PM, samhigh said:

@Dinafem-Mark what is the desired trich ripeness for harvest with the high cbd strains?

This is something we are in the process of working out brother :)

I know both our lad and some independent growers stateside are testing various strains at various stages of bloom to try and find the optimal harvest window for the high cbd strains :yep:

I would think the cbd would be at the highest concentration just before the trichomes start to amber up saying this I could be wrong and I will do my best to get some test results and a more fuller answer to the question :)

All the best 

Mark. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hey @Dinafem-Mark any further tests on this topic? 

Im so intrested as I just harvested my first couple of Purple Orange CBD. They still curing so I dont know yet if I caught right harvest time.

By logic I went for mostly cloudy just after hunting first's ambers. Sure who bred this may help for next time.

Cheers,

G

• Like 1