Countdown to Zelda !

Jut

13 hours ago, Boojum said:

Superb game. I've not got a ps4 plus or a 4k tv, just a normal ps4 and normal HD telly but it still looks gorgeous, and it plays as good as it looks, the combat is really fun, using traps and shooting weak points on massive robot animals using elemental arrows to zap them, freeze them and blow them up is great fun :)

Sounds like great fun ! 

I might play Yooka Laylee in between that and Zelda, having just completed Uncharted 4 I think I'm close to overdosing on 3rd person action adventures. 

• 3 weeks later...

My Wii U copy arrived this morning, been playing it all day. Loving it :) Given the limitations of the system it looks nice (it's not all fancy, detailed HD like PS4 and Xbone games nowadays, but the art style is really nice), and it's just got that Zelda 'feel' to it (I love that about the Zelda games - even though each one is a new experience there's a Zelda feel, with the music, sound etc that is kinda like coming back to an old friend :) ). Can see me losing myself in it for a good while.

• Like 2

It really is a superb game :)

So many ways to use the different mechanics to different effect. Can't be arsed climbing a tree to get apples ? Cut it down. Don't want to damage your weapon, blow it up with a bomb, then. Or set fire to it, and then it will roast the apples for you at the same time, save you having to cook them. Camp full of Bokoblins with metal boxes nearby ? Save arrows and weapon damage by using magnetism to squish them with the metal boxes. Or stasis a boulder and smash it into them. River just a bit too wide to swim across ? Then use freeze to make some ice platforms to rest on (or use them on waterfalls to make steps to climb up). Or climb a hill and paraglide across (and if it's too wide for that, shield surf down the hill first to pick up speed and then paraglide). Losing height paragliding over grassland, then set fire to it with a flaming arrow to create upgusts of warm air. It's just so well constructed, how you can combine the simple puzzle solving mechanics :)

• Like 2

Something I've just discovered by accident (folks may already have read this on a hint site, but I tend not to use hints, walkthroughs etc, I prefer to discover stuff by myself, but this one is quite handy) - when there is a blood moon, travel to somewhere with a cooking pot, if you cook just before the cut scene at midnight it boosts the result (like when you occasionally get the tune playing and get a better result at other times) :) Save all your cooking for the blood moon.

E2A Just finished the first Divine Beast quest, the elephant one. The centaur bloke you encounter on the way to get the shock arrows is easier to fight than he first seems - get in close and lock on with your shield up and just use dodge to set up flurry attacks (equip your best shield and highest damage weapons, it'll probably take 2 or 3 weapons to kill him) - if you stay back he'll absolutely murder you with shock arrows, but although his melee attacks are 1-hit kills (well they were to me, I've still only got 4 hearts, I spent my temple orbs on stamina), they are easy to dodge. And practice shield deflecting guardian beams on the stationary ones you encounter early on (there are a couple around the very first temple you should find on the plateau), you'll soon get the hang of timing (press the deflect button just as the beam gun flashes blue) and then you can farm the mobile ones for parts :)

Edited by Boojum

On 05/04/2017 at 10:37 AM, Boojum said:

Something I've just discovered by accident (folks may already have read this on a hint site, but I tend not to use hints, walkthroughs etc, I prefer to discover stuff by myself, but this one is quite handy) - when there is a blood moon, travel to somewhere with a cooking pot, if you cook just before the cut scene at midnight it boosts the result (like when you occasionally get the tune playing and get a better result at other times) :) Save all your cooking for the blood moon.

E2A Just finished the first Divine Beast quest, the elephant one. The centaur bloke you encounter on the way to get the shock arrows is easier to fight than he first seems - get in close and lock on with your shield up and just use dodge to set up flurry attacks (equip your best shield and highest damage weapons, it'll probably take 2 or 3 weapons to kill him) - if you stay back he'll absolutely murder you with shock arrows, but although his melee attacks are 1-hit kills (well they were to me, I've still only got 4 hearts, I spent my temple orbs on stamina), they are easy to dodge. And practice shield deflecting guardian beams on the stationary ones you encounter early on (there are a couple around the very first temple you should find on the plateau), you'll soon get the hang of timing (press the deflect button just as the beam gun flashes blue) and then you can farm the mobile ones for parts :)

Nice one Booj ! I didn't know that about the blood moon. I'm like you, I don't like to use guides or tips. Feel like a failure when I get stuck and have to google. 

You did well to fight a Lynel with only 4 hearts ! 

Once I got the hang of killing Guardians with a sheild, I went on a killing spree. I'd been running from those fuckers for too long and revenge against a big bully is the sweetest kind. 

The lynel on the shock arrow quest was OK, but I just ran into a white lynel while trying to get Dinraal's scale and he totally battered me :frown:lol

I've revealed the whole map now, found 3 of the 4 great fairies, found the Master Sword (but I've not got enough hearts to get it yet, donno how many you need cos I'm still refusing to look at hint sites, but it's more than 10, which is what I've got at the moment), and the royal horse, but I've still only done one of the Divine Beast quests. The game is HUGE :)

Edited by Boojum

You can drop a Lynel with one Ancient Arrow, but it kind of takes the fun out of it and you don't get his weapons.

I've got the master sword, you aren't far off with 10 ;) 

I've spent 120 hours mainly on opening the map, finding shrines and powering up. That and searching for Korok seeds. Only done one beast, the Elephant one. I'm struggling a bit with the memories.  

I've never spent this much time on any game and I'm not even half way. I've been playing games since 1989. 

• Like 1

Aye, I've been doing pretty much the same, it's how I approach most open world/RPG type games - mooch around discovering the map, doing the side quests and stuff and leaving the main quest until last (unless you have to progress in it to open up other bits of the map). I'm not the type of person who has to rush through doing the main game, I prefer to take my time and experience all the game has to offer before finishing the main game :)  Never thought about using an ancient arrow on the white-maned lynel, I've been hoarding them (not even worth using them on guardians once you have the beam deflection sorted, I'm guessing they will come in handy for the endgame so I'm saving them), I can take him down now but it took a couple of tries before I worked out his moves. Found the 4th great fairy fountain, I guess if you're not the type of person who explores everything it could be pretty easy to miss, it's well out of the way. Greedy cow wants 10,000 rupees, though lol (I like the fact that the great fairies are kinda large lasses, in more ways than one, whole lotta fairy lol ). Found a good way to get rupees (apart from selling food - kebabs made with 5 pieces of gourmet meat make loads :) ), which you've probably found - the super gut check challenge, you can get around 400 rupees per run if you've levelled up your stamina so you have two whole circles and have the full set of climbing gear.

E2A I assume you've discovered this, but thought I'd mention it in case you haven't, you can upgrade the house you can get with display mounts for weapons, bows and shields, whick allows you to store 3 of each - handy for if you find a really good one that you want to save for later so it doesn't use up an inventory slot (not really worth saving the guardian stuff, though, cos it's easy enough to farm, if you want the ++ weapons and shield you can just go back and redo one of the major test of strength shrines, cos the guardian inside respawns every blood moon, like all the other enemies).

Edited by Boojum

Thanks for the tip about the house, I knew you could buy one but I hadn't got around to it.

I'm going to fill it with weapons :) 

I know this is sad, but I've used them to get proper pics of all my weapons etc for the compendium - total geek out lol

Two DLCs have been announced :yahoo:

I'll have to get a HDD for my Wii U before the first one comes out in the summer, cos Zelda has taken up all my storage space (had to uninstall Mario Kart).