PC Speakers

Joolz

today is a sad day, my 20 year old Technics "Midi" 5 speaker stack system has died, it's been a bit temperamental the last few years but I've always managed to get it working again but just now there was a flash and a bang and the smell of fried electrics :(

To be fair most of it has been obsolete for years, am/fm radio, twin cassette deck lol and a multi disc cd player lol but the amp and equalizer were brilliant as were the speakers and so I had the pc plugged into the aux socket for years

So now its like I've gone deaf, my pc has gone quiet, I don't even have built in speakers on my monitor :ouch:

I' was tempted to opt for decent amp to hook my speakers up to but the main speakers have four wire inputs instead of the usual two inputs and none of the amps I've looked at are compatible with that so it looks like I have to move with the times lol

I watch movie's and listen to music on my desktop so looking for recommendations of some decent desk top speakers :)

• Like 1

I've my pc connected to my amp via a Co ax to stereo jack, my motherboard has a really good dac, if your pc has a standard dac, maybe look at getting an upgrade to integrate the pc to a stack

I use a 'Goodmans Base' for my computer, its a soundbar for TVs but works fine with PC's too. they are about £100  but beat all of the display model Desktop speakers  at HMV and currys I tested hands down, some of them 4x the price lol goes underneath the monitor aswell so cuts down on desk clutter too :yep:

my midi is still hanging in there at 35 years+ with daily use.   I would also also interested in peoples recommendations. 

I use a dedicated soundbar for the monitor but mine was £20-30 and has a digi headphone amp.  I use it until I switch on the stereo and for 'phones.

You might try the NAD D 3020/D 8020 digital DAC Amp/Dedicated speaker combo although it would set you back around £500.

Yeah I know.   That's why I don't have one.

I can recommend the amp, although the speakers are new.

After much research a few years ago I ended up with Acoustic Energy Aego M 2.1 active speakers and I must say they are bloody good although IMO you do need to run your audio through an equaliser as they can be a bit bass heavy..

Edited by madgiz
  • Like 1

@Joolz I would consider a Minirig 2.1 which are now wireless and can last up to 50 hours on one charge so are quite handy for those outdoor summer gatherings and situations with no power. 

7 hours ago, Joolz said:

I' was tempted to opt for decent amp to hook my speakers up to but the main speakers have four wire inputs instead of the usual two inputs and none of the amps I've looked at are compatible with that so it looks like I have to move with the times lol

The tweeter and driver will have individual wiring just put them together if needed. or use a bridge. 

Id go for some studio monitors. yamaha hs5 or krk roket5 . Depends on your budjet

Twin cassette deck!? R.I.P.  A simple set of logitech powered speakers do the trick for me.  Basic sound but bulletproof.  Single 3.5 mm jack input is versatile.  Hook up anything from a phone to a stratocaster easy enough.

On a more practical note, I have been thinking of something like an  SMSL SA-50  IC amplifier for c £50.  It tiny and uses a power brick.  

Then I can have my choice of small speakers without having to stick to powered ones.

They make much more complex stuff as well but I haven't investigated it as yet.

a decent sized bluetooth speaker might be worth considering and then you could listen wirelessly to your speaker in whatever room you were in (as long as you had the range)

Edited by Subliminal Criminal

It's hard to get decent sound anymore from all this new stuff about! I would look at either the Sonus play or the bose sound link mini both very good and portable with aux inputs :yep: 

E2a you can still use your old speakers just need some biwire speaker cable to wire them up to a new amp I know the speakers your talking of and it's easily done.

Edited by m99
  • Like 1

Joolz, up to £80 I'd recommend a pair of creative T40 series 11 speakers but if you want something more substantial then look at the Aegos or Edifier speaker set ups.

• Like 1