10mm Tempered glass for a greenhouse? (Salvage.)

MicGrow

Hey guys.

I've got the opportunity to pick up twelve panels of 10mm tempered glass that measure 2380mm x 960mm each.
For free! They used to make up a partition screen in a bank.
I'm considering building a timber framed lean to greenhouse for growing vegetables and salad etc, not cannabis. (That's in the cupboard.)

Is there any reason why this glass would be a problem for my plants?
The panels have a vinyl privacy film on them which can peel off easily.

I know horticultural glass is super thin, is there a reason or is that to just keep it cheap?

large.588dd83e0f36f_ScreenShot2017-01-29at11_54_43.png

• Like 1

Got a feeling it's thin for a reason.  I think thick glass magnifies the rays from the sun and causes scorching and hot spots.  There is a lot of differences between glass house materials from what I can remember.

Hoping for your sake I'm wrong as that would be a great project....

@beezee That is exactly my concern. Hopefully someone here will know.

Obviously house plants do grow on windowsills in houses even through modern thick double glazed units but if I'm growing for food production then I need it to be optimal.

• Like 1

hope you have a strong frame to put them into they are going to be very heavy to lift

i work with a lot of glass and 10mm thick glass is back breaking to lift up

and as others have mentioned normal glass blocks out the uva rays

• Like 4

Hi there. I´d say go for it. I salvaged the glass fof my g/h (6mm and 8mm thick) also. Glass is apparently pretty expensive so most g/h are built with thinner glass for comercial reasons as well as obviously thinner glass is lighter. I used 6cm x 4cm oak timber for the g/h frame (built a bit like a barn), the best wood for g/h is apparently cedar.

I did get a bit of burning on my peppers close to the south facing angled windows, maybe I´ll sort out a bit of shading for July/Aug.

Everything that wasn´t right next to the glass was fine in fact was more than fine, have a look in my gallery.

Yes glass blocks uv light but a HPS doesn´t produce any uv either and weed (or toms) do fine under them. If your worried you can always add a bit of uv light from a Led, Reptile lamp or Metal Halide.

Thick glass has the advantage of being a better thermal insulator.

One problem with big thick sheets of glass is their weight. I would use them for the walls and find some lighter glass for the roof or indeed other material. G/h´s need good ventilation, there should be at least on opening roof window, tricky when they weigh 55kg.

All the best Mokka

p.s. A glass cutter once told me g/h glass is different to normal glass but I´ve forgotten the difference.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Mind the corners, if you clip one on the ground... pop! I'd leave the laminate on while transporting too just incase!

If you don't use them, you could probably sell them to some keen fishkeeper to make a tank out of :yep:

• Like 2

Other than accounting for the weight, your roof will need some well thought out construction I'd agree with mokka.  Greenhouse glass will still stop uv but if you ventilate and have door open (you'll need to to manage smell) you'll be fine.  Only advice is give with a grand total of one grow under my belt is ventilate ventilate ventilate.  If you can go into the ground also (rather than pots) you'll get better results and roots will be able to keep cooler in seating daytime temps - my gh regularly hit 100f during June last year 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Bumping this one ! 

Laminated glass ,I can get a lot of it for cheap . The man who has it is just concerned about the roof ,and laminated is safer than standard glass but it's thick ,12mm ,with a sheet of plastic in the centre of the pane that blocks out most UV light and binds the glass together if it cracks .

I'm using another space for years with double glazed panes for the roof ,2 x 4mm sheets and it's a fine greenhouse .This laminated stuff is transparent but slightly opaque . I just hope it's alright . I wanted 4mm greenhouse glass but my roof would have to be different ,can't afford anything fancier just a sloped roof . 

Any thoughts ,advice appreciated . :yep: