Billabong`s Sweet Seeds Comp Diary

Billabong

Well need to start off by saying a big thanks to Sweet Seeds for running the comp !!

The free seeds make me a winner all ready :) not looking for anything more and by looking at the competition do think I will get anything lol 

I was a bit late in cracking the seeds due to certain circumstances, and I am even later on getting my diary started 

not a great start lol  It has meant my timings are all out and messed things up a bit 

I have never done a diary before and would still class my self as a new grower

I am on my sixth flowering run now so still loads of learning to do, but getting the idea

I am a loft grower, growing in coco currently hand watering but plan to automate soon. 

Well on to the diary

The seeds I choose were all the fast versions, I have liked the look and sound of the fast versions since I first seen them and have been wanting to give them a go. 

So the varieties that I chose where 

Jack 47

Green Poison 

Sweet Afghani Delicious 

large.2017-01-21-20-04-15.jpg

My plan is to run all 9 seeds, it will be a squeeze but I should manage 

I first started the germination on the 2nd January by placing them in some wet toilet roll, I put this in between two plates (I would normally use a dvd case, just couldnt find one)

I then place this in a warm dark place (kitchen cupboard) and check up on them everyday 

large.IMG_20170121_204401.jpg

I checked on them after a day and most of them had just begun to crack, I left them for another day and they had all cracked with a nice healthy radicle poking out of each.

large.2017-01-22-09-00-49.jpg

Not the easiest to make out in the photo

So I then potted them up into 8cm square pots (1/2 litre) filled with canna coco plus, I like to pre wet my medium to make sure I don't move or damage the seed once its in place

I use the lid of my rooting powder as a dibber and make a hole about an inch deep, sprinkle in a few plant magic granules, drop the seed in and cover with a little coco

large.IMG_20170104_211325.jpg

They didnt take long to poke there heads up above ground, three days later and they were all up and looking nice and healthy 

(below photo taken a 4 days) 

large.IMG_20170108_200309.jpg

Excuse the labels, I need to get some more lol 

I have wrote the correct names on them but you can make it out on camera

Then fast forward nearly 2 weeks and we have the below, all ready for potting up

I probably should have done it a wee bit sooner, they were getting a bit cramped 

large.IMG_20170121_205304.jpglarge.IMG_20170121_204955.jpglarge.IMG_20170121_205152.jpg

The marks on the leaves are just water splash marks (I think) 

Good root balls on them, this is one of the green poisons 

large.IMG_20170120_164029.jpg

So I potted them up into 10cm (1 litre) pots along with some more plant magic granules

I thought I would show how I fill my pots after reading this way on here, it makes life so much easier than trying to stuff it around the plant

large.IMG_20170121_195751.jpg 

Anyway here they are all potted up and tucked up under a 4 tube maxibright T5

I have two of these, one each side of a truss, so 4 plants under one and 5 under the other

large.IMG_20170121_212303.jpglarge.IMG_20170121_212310.jpg

Thats it for now, things are starting to move along so will hopefully get a bit more exciting soon (flower time :oldtoker:)

I will get some photos and a description of the veg and flower room soon, I will need to have a tidy up first 

Edited by Billabong
  • Like 11

Welcome to the comp dude !!

looking very nice in your space !!

All the best for the rest of the grow .

Peace.

Lil d.

• Like 2

I never got a chance to say hello yesterday ;) Hi bro, welcome to the competition. nice start to your diary, looking forward to seeing how you get on with the fast versions ( I almost went got some of them myself) best of British ;)

• Like 3

Another Green Poison grow !!

Have mentioned to @botanics I really want to try Green Poison this year. Been on the list for too long now.

Healthy roots and good growth, looking sweet as mate.

ATB for the veg stage.

GV.

• Like 4

Cheers mate ;)

Welcome to the competition. That's a very nice start :D

I'm sure it will be a very interesting diary. Sweet smokes! :lucky:

tommy

• Like 2

Thanks for the kind words @rabthegrower @GreenVision @botanics @Sweet Seeds-tommy 

The green poison sounds nice, and a quick flower time too...

Going to spend some time going through everyones diaries tonight see if I can pick up some tips ;)

I have managed to have a tidy up today and got some photos of my space, so thought I should put a wee bit up about the rooms so.....

The Grow Space

I have used up around half of my loft space, it has ok height in the middle but trusses for the roof running all the way through. There wasnt much I could do with them so I just had to go with them and build them into my rooms. There was all ready power for a TV booster up there that ran off the ring main when I started the build which was a bonus and saved a lot of work. It is still a work in progress with loads I still want to do, to be honest I dont think it will ever be finished.

The whole space is first insulated using double foil bubble insulation leaving an air gap around so air can still travel around the back. (stapled to rafters) 

I then used 25mm battens (to keep an air gap on both sides) and built my rooms using 50mm insulation boards.

I have been up and running for around 18 months now and temps are pretty stable, they seem to be more affected by the temps of the room that I intake from.

So come on in a have a look :thisbig:

large.1.jpg 

large.2.jpglarge.3.jpg

So in the front we have the flower room and to the right the veg room. 

At the far right back corner I have a 100l water butt to handle the watering duties, I have a maxijet 1000 in there to keep the water moving 

Currently hand watering but I plan to automate this for the flower room soon

large.58863a3cb0c46_WaterButt.jpg

Around the corner from the flower room it goes past my spaghetti junction power board (really need to tidy this up) and into a space which I am not using just now

My plan for this bit is to use it as a drying room, I am not sure if I can just tap into the ducting that is there which is the flower room intake or if I will need to sort out another fan and filter. I will get around to it one day.........

large.58863a31b8bbf_powerpanel.jpg

large.aroundthecorner.jpg

large.aroundthecorner2.jpg

Temps are monitored by my newest toy in the grow room, I got 2 of these for free :D they were one clearance on argos ebay for just over £8 so I used so nectar points and got 2 of them. That means that I got 2 sensors and 2 displays, sensor in each room and a display in the loft and another in the room. Means I can check the temps with out going up for a look :D did i mention they were free :D 

Oregon Alize weather station 

large.thermo.jpg

On to the rooms, first up 

The Veg Room

large.58863a373abae_VegRoom.jpg

The dimensions are 120cm x 110cm and 160cm tall at its highest point and 80cm at its lowest. 

For ventilation I have a RVK 8" L1 extracting and am currently just using the 8" intake ducting for a passive intake from a bedroom below.

I do have a RVK 6" for the intake but found it was dropping my temps to much.

Fan is hooked up to a stepping fan controller set at between 1 and 2 

Carbon filter is oversized with a 10" rhino pro, oversized acoustic ducting used throughout. 

Lights wise, I am using two 4 tube T5`s 

I specced the fans so I can run a bigger light but penny's have meant that its not happened yet, the T5`s seem to do an ok job but don't have much penetration once the plants get a bit bigger. 

large_veg1.jpglarge_veg2.jpg

The Flower Room

Where the magic happens :naughty: Dimensions in here are 120cm x 175cm, height is .....  well i forgot to measure it lol But it peaks in the middle and then slopes down, more so at one side if that helps :doh:.

Ventilation is carried out by a RVK 10" L1 for extraction and a RVK 8" fo intake, both hooked up to the same controller as the veg extraction, is set between 1 and 2

Carbon filter is a 12" rhino pro and again oversized acoustic ducting used throughout

I mounted the fan in the corner as high as I could instead of the peak to give me more useable height, seems to do the good fine and keeps temps stable :yep:

Lighting in here is two lumatek dimmable 600w, currently running at 400w but I do put it up to 600w during flower. 

Mounted as high as I can and thats where the stay all the time 

large.58863a3075bfe_FlowerRoom.jpglarge.58863a2dad1a0_FlowerFloor.jpglarge.58863a2c499cb_FlowerFilter.jpglarge.58863a2f14257_FlowerLights.jpg

Plants that are in the flower room just now are psychosis and psychokush (that's what the 2 mothers in the veg room are as well), not sure if I will have time to run these and finish in time for the comp. I need to check my dates and decide 

And well that is that, thanks for taking the time to read this far if you did :) 

• Like 8

@Elvis Reg @vigorocious thanks for the support :yep: 

Quick update...

I moved the plants into the main flower room a few days ago so they are getting full attention

They were potted up into 3 ltr pots yesterday, next pot up will be into their 7.5 ltr finals 

I have put them into Ecothrive Charge Coco this time, I normally use Canna Pro so will see how they get on 

The plants are putting on some growth, they are staying nice a squat and compact 

I have trimmed up a node or two on the bottom the help with watering and will probably top them soon. 

Not much else to report at this time 

large_pu2.jpglarge_pu1.jpg

• Like 5

Great start mate, you have a good space and very healthy plants  ;)

Welcome to the comp and all the best!

jaypp

Edited by Sweet Seeds -Jaypp
  • Like 1