Twin variac diy

OddNut

How we all doing ? Good I hope :)

I'm wanting to build myself a day and night twin variac controller, I'm still early days in the research stage and have a lot to get my head round before I start. I've made this thread to basically start asking a few questions (some of which will be pretty basic, sorry lol ) to help me get this project under way :)

My first question is, how do the twin variacs work ? I understand one is to set minimum speed and the other maximum, what I want to know is what happens In between ? Will the fans just flip from idle speed straight to the set maximum as I presume they do ? Or do they adjust keeping the temp up until the maximum is achieved ?

Cheers oddnut :)

Hi @@OddNut, I've not built a twin variac controller only single so I won't be of much help lol but yes your fans will ramp up to set speed/full speed as the actual switching is by relay and so is immediate.

ATB with the build.

• Like 2

@@Nuttyprof cheers bud :yep:

I thought this would be the case, not that it matters though as it's the buzzzzzZz I want to get rid of. It travels down my ducting because it's solid spiral all the way through lol

How easy would it be to hook up a light sensor instead of a timer to switch between night and day ?

@@Nuttyprof cheers bud :yep:

How easy would it be to hook up a light sensor instead of a timer to switch between night and day ?

Not as easy as a relay switched by your lighting contactor I would say....or to put it another way I dunno lol

• Like 1

Hello mate

Yeh i not long built one using clay davis guide.

Works a treat but you have to use some kind of a Switchable thermostat like the atc800,

Then you set the temp and it will sit at the variac u set for the low speed, like 35%.

Then if the temp climbs to the set level it will switch up to the other variac set at about 70% and keep on till the temp drops down again and then it will switch back down to the lower speed.

Thats how it works.

Loads of builds to follow , i just found that one by clay the best fit for me.

Really easy to follow and when it is running it really is a wicked bit of kit.

zz

• Like 1

@zztopbbudz

Sound for that mate. Gotta say there are some amazing builds on here. The things that can be done if you put your mind to it are mind blowing. Shame it goes way over my head lol. I'm loving the idea of a day night setting

• Like 1

Just as a heads up guys, don't run at less than 40% I think it's about 110 on the variac dial that goes to 270,

Any less and there isn't enough airflow to keep the fan motor cool enough, meaning overheating and much shorter lifespan.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Evening all, hope you are well

I've bought myself 2 atc800+ to kick my arse into gear and get going with this project along with my current tank cooling project. As this is electrical (as appse to wood) and I'm quite dangerous I'm going to nag you all a bit (sorry in advance)

I want to build a twin Variac day and night controller, and I'm currently putting together a shopping list. I'm a bit unsure where to source some of this stuff or even if I'm getting the right thing, I hope you can help :)

2no. Atc 800+

2no. Variac open type 240v not sure of the amps from my 10" and 8" rvks yet

1no. Pond timer ? I can't find the type @@mooker used

1no. 5a dptd

1no. 15a Spat

1no. 10a Dptd

Enough. 30a. Terminal block (clay Davis said to get 30a in his build for ease with two wires. Can I use twin bootlace ferrules ?

1no. Ip56 enclosure box. (Not sure where to get the hinged ones that are big enough)

Hand full. Eyelet ferrules. What size does the eyelet need to be ?

The above are the bits I could do with a little help on at the min.

Thanks for your time :)

Just looked up the ATC is says it only measures from 19.9c > 99.9c. The low limit seem a bit high to me. the alternative, inkbird itc 1000 is cheaper, relay contacts for H & C, and measures down to -50. IS there a reason you went for ATCs ?

The control wiring probably isn't too difficult, I'd imagine its been outlined on here numerous times... I might sketch up it up neat as I will be changing my temp control over soon, I think I will get a inkbird!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...