Homemade Reflector In Wood????

strangeplains

hi folks, was just wondering about making i simple reflector out of wood. thin mdf or ply maybe 6mm. it would obliously be mylar covered and only housing a 125w enviro so heat shouldnt be a prob :wassnnme: well im going to make one tomorrow and post the pics, if anything it will give you all a good laugh :smoke::woot::yep:

hi pall, i mount all mine on those roller hangin tings, 6mm mdf is reasonably light, butt will post a pic when ive done it, only a prototype obviously, what gets me is the price of normal one with just a few bends in it, major rip off :angry: its only for raising seedlings basically so will aim to have an intense as possible downward projection :angry:

I seem to recall someone doing a DIY one with a piece of shiny metal (aluminium, perhaps) a while ago, and it being pretty cheap to do. Sorry, would do a search for it, but I can't be arsed (:angry: sorry, my ma always told me that honesty is the best policy).

I seem to recall someone doing a DIY one with a piece of shiny metal (aluminium, perhaps) a while ago, and it being pretty cheap to do. Sorry, would do a search for it, but I can't be arsed (:angry: sorry, my ma always told me that honesty is the best policy).

314646[/snapback]

yeah read that too it was a aluminium closure plate and quie flimsy, th weight of the holder and enviro would bend it to fuck (and i havnt got a rivet gun) :angry: cheers though :angry:

th weight of the holder and enviro would bend it to fuck (and i havnt got a rivet gun)  :angry: cheers though  :angry:

314653[/snapback]

Courtesy of Vlad, "Not if you run a cable tie round the ballast part of the enviro attaching this to the reflector" Sorted mine. :angry:

Courtesy of Vlad, "Not if you run a cable tie round the ballast part of the enviro attaching this to the reflector" Sorted mine.  :angry:

314655[/snapback]

you are on the ball , superb, off to plumbers merchant first thing, many thanks wicked idea :angry::angry:

Meant to say, tie the cable tie round the ballast just back from where the glass tubes enter it, drill a hole through the top of the reflector and pass the free end of the tie up through this, tie off with a knot.

Wasn't my idea, it was Vlads. :angry:

Not a problem at all. I've made a few out of wood in the past and the only worry is hot spots. But with a 125w enviro, that won't be a problem at all. An alternative to mylar coating (which you would have to stretch and secure tight with NO wrinkles) is merely painting it white. Very cheap.

That said, I wouldn't bother making them out of wood nowadays. I go to my local iron mongers/ metal workers and buy a 8 foot x 4 foot sheet of mottled aluminium, 1mm thick, for £20 and cut out a load of shades. They also make me up the steel L shaped brackets for the lamp holders for £1.50 each. Jobs a goodun.

:angry:

i made mine out of ply and crisp packets m8, same thing i make all of my enviro reflectors out of.

hid i would only use metal for them.

Fucking typical theres me a wondering how am i gonna make a reflector for my enviro's, shall i use wood covered mylar i say to myself NAH best not i says best use metal i says so off i go to pgt's pick up a nice bit of thin metal sheeting ( nice one once again mate :guitar: ).

But would a mylar and wood reflector handle 4 x enviros?

:guitar:

sp if yuo want to use wood go for hardboard cot to size and leave to soak in a bath of cold water until flexible bend and hold in place with cable ties or bend it until you can get a bucket on either end and leave to dry itll stay in that shape it worked for me mate