Drip ring setup

Guest mrtibbs

Guest mrtibbs

Hello people.

I recently made a thread about a drip ring setup using halo drip rings, but cant get the product i was was hoping for, so am now going down the DIY Dripper route. The most important thing to me is equal watering over all plants, as well as to all holes in the drip ring, as i am running run to waste.

What i have is below:

• 13mm ID pipe (I think this is hosepipe sized and goes directly onto Maxijet pumps.
  • 2 * Maxi Jet 1000 Pumps
  • 4 plants in a 4 x 4
  • Various 90 degree bends, Equal Tees, and other fittings to fit 13mm piping

As i only have 4 plants i want to know the best way to ensure equal, watering.

My idea was to run 2 plants per pump, and set-up a straight line from the pump to a T junction, then lead a DIY drip ring to each plant.

Do you think this would ensure equal watering to each hole in the drip ring? My main problem is that i have always got more water coming out of one hole more than others using a way drip manifolds and Spaghetti (4mm) tubing. I think with bigger tubing, and a more powerful flow of water i would alleviate this problem?

Also would a circle be best for the DIY drip ring as in a a equal Tee junction with tubing making a circle, or would it be best to have stop ends at each side of the ring? I have seen both methods used but am not sure whats best for equal watering.

Hoping this makes sense, and i look forward to replies. If you can come up with something better with the above equipment i would love to hear it. But i am hoping the above will work

Thanks guys

Edited by mrtibbs

Hi

Make something like this, the water has to fill and pressurize inside of the circle before it'll push water down the drip lines ensuring equal pressure. I've tried lots of different ways from a T with stop ends, straights bits of pipe with stop ends etc and it's always uneven because water flows down the further line the most due to their being more pressure build up than the bottom lines.

drip

If you're going to be making actual drip rings instead of just using stakes, then make sure they are all equal in length with the exact same size and amount of holes in the pipe.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

@GSZZ hello mate, sorry to tag you but I'm sure I've seen you post in more detail about how to make this ring set up for equal pressure? I keep looking but cant seem to find it.

I'm looking a making a drip ring system that I can just manually turn on when needed. 

I've seen some plantIt watering rings online, am I right in thinking that should allow for equal pressure, seen as they're pre made, exactly the same measurements? Supposedly. 

For 4 plants, could I then just attach say 24mm tube straight from the pump, have 2 t pieces coming off, then a further 2 t pieces reducing to 13mm to create 4 feed lines which I then attach 1 to each watering ring? Would that still create equal pressure? 

Dunno if I'm over complicating things in my head or if that'll even make sense lol

Basically I just want something I know will feed say 1L in 15 mins so I can just go in turn it on do some other shit then turn it off. 

I know it's simple but it's hurting my head, my dyslexia needs me to physically do shit rather than read it, but then I want to understand something before I get it lol

Cheers if you or anyone else can point me in the right direction 

:yinyang:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @Shaggy1, you probably got your answer now, but if not and for anybody searching, i found this thread good info:

I first made the ring out of poly pond tubing, which was a bit thin, the "iceline" stuff in the photo isnt available where i am, but braided PVC tubing seems to be working fine for me feeding 8 x hydro halos. dipping the ends in hot water makes the ends much easier to fully push home.

large.623cbedc9b078_braidedtubing.jpg

chair

Edited by Chairman O The Bored
clicky