storing and cleaning rainwater

Ive realised after 3 months of growing in coco, hand watered that our

local rain water has a ph of 8 and an ec of zero

The tap water ph 7.4 ec 0.5

It seems to make sense to use the rainwater to allow more usable nutrients per watering?

If I continue doing this, i realise that i need to keep the stored rainwater conditioned properly,

and will need to bubble it and maybe uv it

Would this be sufficient?

Cheers

Guest jacks lad

have no idea about ec, i started growing in coco last year using tap water, plants started going down hill halfway through veg, i looked online about growing in coco and came across the differance between hard and soft water, soft water has no cal/mag and rain water is soft, picks up the cal/mag while traveling through the ground becoming hard water, solved a long time problem, i now use cal/mag every watering.

Ive realised after 3 months of growing in coco, hand watered that our

local rain water has a ph of 8 and an ec of zero

The tap water ph 7.4 ec 0.5

It seems to make sense to use the rainwater to allow more usable nutrients per watering?

If I continue doing this, i realise that i need to keep the stored rainwater conditioned properly,

and will need to bubble it and maybe uv it

Would this be sufficient?

Cheers

Hey bro, I'd double check your testing equipment as there is no way that your rain is coming in at ph8 and zero EC. Somethings gone wrong with your measurements for sure. Natural rain in the uk comes in about ph 5.6 and contains a number of dissolved substances.

Hi@@SoD thanks, yeah i kno it sounds strange. Will check the calibration on the ph pen this avo

@ thanks for the reply. Ive had similar experience with things lookin shit during veg on some plants

Im also using a little magnecal even tho its hard water, findin my way, tryin to understand the needs of weeds

i would like to know how people look after harvested rainwater for plants grown indoors

@@SoD yes checked the calibration of the ph pen is reliable to + or - 0.2

The rain water in the galvanised steel dustbin is presently 7.4

Rain water in the plastic water butt is 6.1

Tap water is 7 today and generally measured at 6.8 to 7.2

I guess the metal could add to the ph measured

My blue lab truncheon seems reliable and shows zero in the rainwater

Anyone uv ing stored rain water, or would bubbling alone keep it fresh?

I grow indoors and I would never use rain water and bring it indoors. Its just asking for problems. Its never consistent for a start and you have no idea what pests could be in there

Also I would never store water in a metal container

If mine was really bad then I would go the RO route

Owd

• Like 2

@@Owderb many thanks thats saved me a whole lot of ****ing about buying crap and wasting time,

cheers @@Embryo appreciate you guys takin the time to help

Anyone please tell me what RO means?

dog

Water from the tap is so cheap though that I can't see the effort of using rain water worthwhile. If you are growing hydro then you can use the water tap to keep a constant flow. With rain water that might have interruptions.

If you are hand watering and you don't want to spend money on mains water, then i guess it could be used within 5-7 days of being collected.

Edited by awesomesauce

@@awesomesauce hi thanks for your advice

Yes, cheap enough at £1 a ton and good value, I don't mind the cost.

I just noticed that the rainwater showed zero ec and I thought I saw an opportunity to provide more

usable elements in the total ec level of the feed water

I won't be using rainwater for any indoor plants following advice from top growers not to use it,

too risky.

I will very likely use rainwater on garden plants though

I like to keep things simple, no hydro, handwatered only soil or coco grows, setting up filtering

and pumps wouldn't suit me so I won't do the RO thing

I use tap water left to stand for a day, covered, not bubbled