Activated Carbon

ygnul

ok mate i'm totally guessing but i get 3 fills from a 25kg sack with my filtr which looks 3 or4 time bigger than the 4 inch so......2 1/2 to 3 kg would be my guess .

of course you could always empty it , weigh the carbon and reassemble it before you buy any lol

Cheers for that CF

I bought some off net yesterday but the biggest packs i could find were 1/2 llb ordered four but it doesnt look like it will be enough :yinyang:

Any idea were i can buy in bulk

cheers pal chunga

Hi chunga,

My local grow shop does a refill for a 4" for £48

send me a PM if thats of interest

311624[/snapback]

Robbing gits :guitar:

you can (almost) buy a brand new 4" filter for that price :yinyang:

Hi chunga,

My local grow shop does a refill for a 4" for £48

send me a PM if thats of interest

311624[/snapback]

kin ell!

i get 25kg for 75 quid -ish and swapping the carbon over is a quick easy (if a bit messy) job.

it's possible to buy the same carbon much much cheaper than this but minimum order is 500kg.....i think goodblokes growshop is on a lttle earner :yinyang:

Thanks but no thanks GB. SOunds like my local grow shop aswell. Told i can only buy in 25kg sacs and they want 100notes for it :smoke: .

Even tried telling me you couldnt fill em yourselves as theres a special technique to it( wnker smiley) and guess what they offer a refilling service thats not far off the price quoted earlier :guitar:

THe search continues

chunga :yinyang:

Even tried telling me you couldnt fill em yourselves as theres a special technique to it(

well apart from drilling out a couple of rivets and replacing them ,or using self tappers if you havent got a rivet gun the 'special technique' involves vibrating the filter to settle the new carbon.

i got around this by standing the newly filled filter open end uppermost on a square of thick ply with a folded towel under the ply ,i used a thick bath towel folded several times ....then with a mate to steady the filter i vibrated the ply using a hammer drill with a long bit pressed down on the ply .

it seemed to work well, the carbon settled down the flter body and i kept topping it up and repeating the process until the level stayed the same .

i think they used a special vibrator plate in the shop and maybe its slightly more efficient than my method but it works for me :guitar:

cf

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i got some of that ebay carbon. works a treat ;)

23squid for 10kg inc. p+p. bargain.

cf's hammer drill+ply method is perfect to compact and settle the carbon.

thats the most important aspect of refilling, the carbon has got to be compacted to the max.

regarding the length odf time the filters are effective for, i got a cheapo filter which scrubbe5d the smell from 4 grows but started failing on the 5th so i got some activated carbon as my grow shop wantede more for a refill than i paid for the filter (about 50 quid i think)

i've since enlarged and upgraded my room and have bought a phat filter. these come with a two year guarentee lol expensive but worth it.

the small refilled filter is now presiding over my cuttings and veg room ;)

hedgemonkey is right i think so dont throw away your 'used' carbon. it simply needs baking at a high tempin an oven for at least a hour. am nearly sure this reactivates it :smoke:

dunno bout the saltwater method, never heard of that before :ouch:

good luck mate :g:

ac·ti·vat·ed charcoal (ăk'tə-vā'tĭd)

n.

Highly absorbent carbon obtained by heating granulated charcoal to exhaust contained gases, resulting in a highly porous form with a very large surface area. It is used primarily for purifying gases by adsorption, solvent recovery, or deodorization and as an antidote to certain poisons. Also called activated carbon.

maybe baking in the oven releases the gases it absorbs

Im gonna give it a try when my filter packs up.