That Humming noise!

LOTUS1

I could be paranoid as its my first time but im sure my neighbor can hear my ruck etc. Its all ready to go, in fact i have started germinating my 4 autos of choice, powered everything up and it all works. Problem is my setup is in the corner of the room attached to my neighbor, my ducting(5") goes through a cupboard then through the ceiling out in to the loft, with the open extraction end filtering out behind the sofit and facia boards.

1 because the extraction duct goes through a cupboard it sounds louder and also the oscillating fan(4") i have is far to noisy to use. I haven't got my control unit for the fan yet so im not even sure if its running at max or not?.

Could i get away! with having the light(400w) on! as im ready to get some beans in and get started.. If i leave the tent half open without extraction on it shouldn't get to hot in there?

If i leave the tent half open without extraction on it shouldn't get to hot in there?

You are just asking for a whole host of problems. If the heat doesn't effect the plants, the lack of fresh air will. Not to mention the fact that you will no longer be containing the smell...

There are options to reduce the noise. The extraction fans can be put into a baffle box or run at a slower speed. Or you could go and purchase a more silent model.

• Like 2

For the first 2 to 3 weeks it wont do too much harm to keep them in the open under the light as long as they're not on show...

But I would get things sorted ASAP.. I often have to contend with noises from new equipment, can be a nightmare.

GV.

• Like 1

Im going pad out and sound deaden the cupboard which should help, i built a box for the loft end of the ducting and its dead silent up there, the wall is block 4-5" i think, its an old house so the walls are not exactly thin. Acoustic ducting would help a lot @@SkyRider. Thanks guys.

I will make a few adjustments.

• Like 1

@@SkyRider do you think it would be alright to intake clean air from outside, not direct but through the tents mesh window. I have sealed it using gorilla tape! all but one end of the Velcro cover where the air comes in?

• Like 1

There's two problems with that I can think of mate.

Firstly the issue of bringing in unwanted bugs. You can get round this though with a bit of filtering. The other problem is the temp. At this time of year the outside temps are pretty cold. If you're intake is from the air outside then you'll need to warm it up before it gets to your girls, otherwise you'll be bringing the temps down to dangerous levels at lights off. 16C is minimum temp, below that the roots will stop nutrient uptake. Ideally you want to keep everything above 20C.

I'm currently intaking the air from my house. The central heating is on to maintain a temp of around 20C. Even so I occasionally drop down on cold nights below those temps. It's not an idea place to intake from, but it keeps my plants happier than taking it from outside.

• Like 1

@@SkyRider Nice one mate! i can play around with the outside intake with some filtering as you say? what if i could get air from another room underneath the floor as its a drafty old house with a cavity? :lookaround: .

Im running it all now and will do for the next few days to see what temps i can pull before i sow.

• Like 1

If you can pull it up from a room underneath then brilliant, if not though, you could always construct a sort of heat box thing. I haven't tried it myself yet (though I will be soon). All you would have to do is build a small (ish) sort of space that the intake air would pass through and then in this space you would put some heaters to try to raise the air temp. Of course, the room needs to be big enough to allow the air to be heated up enough before being pulled through.

I'm building a drying room anyway so I figured it could double as a heat box when not in use. Probably wouldn't build one otherwise.

Im running it all now and will do for the next few days to see what temps i can pull before i sow.

Fair play mate :yep: I like your style.

• Like 1

NICE! i like your thinking on the dry room supplying the grow room...irony. What i have found is an old aerial imput which comes from the front of the house which could work.

Cheers for help bud.

Yea well I'm a tight arse and don't want to folk out for another fan and filter for a drying room, so I figured I'd just connect it to the front of my main flower room and save myself some money!

No worries mate. Anytime. Give us a shout if you get a diary up and I'll come and follow along :)

Edited by SkyRider
  • Like 1