Eat what you catch

noddy

I dont know if you know this but you need a "license" to trap for crays in the uk. Plenty of info on the .gov sites :yep:

(Sorry if you already knew this)

Yes mate, I do know about the licence. It's free as far as I remember.

If you catch one without a licence, you're actually prohibited from throwing it back.

Edited by Twisted Rizla
  • Like 1

Cool. I just thought it worth a mention in case you (or anyone else reading) didnt know.

:yep:

I reckon they should do away with the bureaucracy. The signal crayfish fuck the banks up as well as decimating the indigenous White Claw numbers and therefore, people should be encouraged to fish for them without the need for licences.

• Like 2

Schemes teaching kids how to build and use the traps would be a great idea imo

get the young uns on it n the problem will be solved especially if chip shops (or more likely, fancy restaurants) will buy them.

Could be like the old glass bottle deposit scheme

Edited by Embryo
  • Like 2

Schemes teaching kids how to build and use the traps would be a great idea imo

Great idea mate.

How to catch, prepare and cook food from the wild should be on the national curriculum. And what a great place to start with the crayfish?

• Like 1

The problem with trapping signal crayfish (and the reason some areas won't issue licences), is that pretty much the only thing that predates on signal crayfish are big signal crayfish. Traps catch bigger crayfish much better than small ones, so low intensity trapping can actually lead to population explosions.

• Like 2

Yea does tend to be full size adult crayfish that the traps catch, wonder why the native crayfish don't eat the invaders there much bigger..

wonder why the native crayfish don't eat the invaders there much bigger..

Because the natives have mostly been killed off by the crayfish plague that signals carry
  • Like 1

Crays are a nuseince i agree but i also belive some of the big chub perch carp ect wouldn't be as big as they are thats the only good thing about the signals oh an they also pretty tasty lol one of the lakes i fish they dont mind u chuckin a trap in while u fishing i dint no u needed a license