Incremental heat increase with higher wattage CFLs

10DD

Wondered if anyone could help with a query...

As an example - the temperature in a very small grow tent (Secret Jardin CR60) was 19.6°C during dark hours, then rose to 23.6°C after a 30w CFL had been switched on over seedlings for a few hours.

Assuming the environment conditions were to stay as they were (limited ventilation - only passive intake/exhaust and mini fan switched on intermittently for air circulation), would you expect the temperature to logically increase by another 4°C if a second 30w CFL was introduced via an E27 splitter?

Would you also expect a 4°C increase in temperature if the original 30w CFL was replaced with a single 60w CFL? Would this be more heat-efficient than two 30w CFLs or would it even produce more heat? These are Green Lamp CFLs, if it helps.

Plants will grow only imperceptibly with out a throughput of air; don't bother popping a seed until you've an extraction plan in place; you'll end up with plants that will barely grow, and a broken front door when rippers / the law take it off because you've smelt out the street with a couple of piddly plants

Works on a curve, not a straight line else with 25 light bulbs you will have a tent at 119.6°C

Thanks for the reply. Would you be able to estimate possible temperature differences, in theory, from a single 30w CFL gradually increasing up to something like 125w?

Thanks for the other reply but please don't make assumptions or judgements about topics I've not asked about. From a browse of these kinds of forums that's mainly what seems to happen. I can appreciate you've probably got a lot of experience and you're trying to help, but that's really not helpful in actuality. I haven't provided enough information about the micro and macro growth environment or any restrictions I'm operating under for you to be able to accurately advise on other matters.

'Assuming the environment conditions were to stay as they were (limited ventilation - only passive intake/exhaust and mini fan switched on intermittently for air circulation), would you expect the temperature to logically increase by another 4°C if a second 30w CFL was introduced via an E27 splitter?'

No assumptions or judgements made @@10DD, just commenting on what you've written yourself

Happy Growing :)

Firstly, I wrote an example scenario to help provide control conditions for a heat-related CFL query only. I never actually stated that was my current or future growth environment. You assumed it was.

You passed judgement on expected plant growth. Different growers have different needs and requirements with regard to plant height, node spacing, flower quantity and size etc. I never said I wasn’t looking for ‘piddly plants’. One man’s terrible yield is another’s goldmine. I was simply enquiring about incremental heat differences with varying CFL wattages – something of an experiment. Your reply in no way made reference to this subject. Perhaps you might be starting to understand to extent to which you were helpful. Having said that, with your last blissfully unaware message and evident failure to grasp the concept of assumption or passing judgement, I venture not.

Also, you clearly made the assumption I am situated on a residential or otherwise populated street, not to mention imagined neighbour sensibilities.

Before I leave (since you’ve spectacularly met my anticipated response, for which you deserve congratulations), it is also worth pointing out a logical inconsistency in your initial reply. In an advised effort of preventing a 'broken front door', you referred to a throughput of air and air extraction only. I fail to see how merely extracting air from a growth environment would have any effect with regards to odour in the external environment, other than speeding up that process of a ‘broken front door’. To my limited knowledge, that would require some form of odour control, such as carbon filtration, not merely a sped-up transfer of air.

Happy riling.

Like I said, Happy Growing :)

or Happy Theoretical Growing :)

Or something like that...

Edited by Superdedupity
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

@@10DD

Holy smokes dude :shock: The man was just trying to help you out (many people join up here and try to get away with running a ghetto set up and decent members here such as @Superdedupity just want to advise them on how be safe and not get nicked).

Clearly, from reading your comments I can see you are not short of brain cells ;) but mate, do yourself a favour and lose the aggression because the way I've read it, the vernacular used coupled with a sarcastic undertone typifies an egotistical arsehole with his head so far up his arse he can see the aftermath of his own tonsillectomy.

Now of course I wouldn't want to get the wrong end of the stick would I ?

No offence of course as it's nothing personal.

Edited by botanics
  • Like 2

@@10DD

If I ever reply to any of your other posts remind me not to bother mate, unless you have a serious attitude readjustment

if you can't recognise the difference between someone trying to help and 'riling', as you call it why would anyone else?