KODI - Found an awesome way to watch anything online!

SirBob

Guest theokoles
20 hours ago, Buckfacked said:

An android box? Adblock Plus on it, look for it on F-Droid site as Google play banned it as ithurts their revenue, will bin the ads as long as your box is rooted.

Its an MXq box about 5 years old. I did one wipe and reinstalled some stuff, thats as far as my tech abilites go. Then about a year ago accidentally hit an update button and thats where the ads have appeared from. So never updated anything since..it does update movies etc most days. Its hooked up to my tv via hdmi, dont know what rooted means? Can you explain in a bit more detail what it is im looking for that will stop these adds please?

Edited by theokoles

@theokoles

Sounds like you have a ad/spyware infested nightmare there...But I'm picky about these things. You might have to learn some things, you up for that? I'm into minimal - the less we install on a system the better, so I'm going to steer you that way rather than towards another app.

The most simple way I can think of right now (if you don't want to wipe your box and start again), is changing your DNS servers to a blocking service, something like -

https://adguard.com/en/adguard-dns/overview.html

....Does this scare you off? You could use that service via your router and block all sorts of shit for all devices.

DNS (Domain Name System) is...in simple terms, what computers use to translate the human readable address (uk420.com) into something computers understand (104.25.252.31).

PS. It may break it, if the people who set up what you use are cunts.

Edited by j.o.i.n.t

Guest theokoles

Cheers for that mate..does sound a bit complex for me :D and risky..ill just suffer the adds, they dont last long and only pop up before i play a movie. I just press return, the add goes and the movie starts. 

It's not irreversible :) If it breaks anything (which isn't guaranteed, you just get used to giving that warning if you're into these things!) you could just go back to what you were using before.

If you feel curious some time, have a look on the back of your router for the admin log in details/address. It probably has the address 192.168.1.1 but the password and stuff will be there...just have a nosey by putting those numbers into your browser and looking at the various tabs/pages. As long as you don't change anything you'll not cause any harm.

We are the masters of these damn machines, @theokoles, not the other way round. ...Well, that's what I tell myself when I'm tearing my hair out :D

Anyway, good luck.

Guest theokoles

Just had a look now and cant see anything on the back or anywhere else. Its best bit of kit ive ever had really, 5 years of free movies and stuff.. ill leave it be cant complain about a few adds i dont suppose. It streams very well, but not in high defenition, connections too slow. Need to get the latest fastest connection provider when i move. 

Cheers mate.

Yeah, been using my self-built thingies for a while myself. I too love free stuff and have no respect for the copyright of multi-nationals :D

Edited by j.o.i.n.t

Guest Buckfacked

Since it's an android box, the easiest way, although it won't block all ads, is to use DNS66, get that on Google Play, and that basically fires everything through a VPN which will filter out most ads.

For rooting, it may well be pre-rooted so you can install root checker and it will tell you if you are rooted or not (rooting is the Android version of "jailbreaking" an iPhone/iPad). If it's not rooted, then google "root MXq" and you'll find instructions. The most common way is by using something like KingRoot (NOT KingoRoot, that "o" is critical) and that'll do the dirty for you.

Then you have many an option such as MOAB (mother of all ad blockers) or AdAway (my mistake earlier, you want to root and install Adaway, again google will pop up where to download it). You'll also find all the instructions you need to install whatever you use.

• 2 weeks later...

does anyone know of a decent kodi build that's working?

iv been using nolimits for the past few years with no problems whatsoever but it just stopped working a couple of days ago and i don't know why, so if anyone knows of any decent builds(i only watch sport, films and tv shows) it would be great. 

T.I.A

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, craigfjyp said:

iv been using nolimits for the past few years with no problems whatsoever but it just stopped working a couple of days ago and i don't know why, so if anyone knows of any decent builds(i only watch sport, films and tv shows) it would be great. 

T.I.A

You could try wiping Kodi completely off the box and installing Terrarium? That seems to be working OK and Kodi is basically finished.

• Like 2

Just now, willowisp said:

You could try wiping Kodi completely off the box and installing Terrarium? That seems to be working OK and Kodi is basically finished.

its my laptop i use it on mate, can terrarium be used on windows?

19 hours ago, craigfjyp said:

its my laptop i use it on mate, can terrarium be used on windows?

Ah I see. It's designed for android but it can run on pc with an android emulator, but tbh thats a bit of a faff isn't it

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/08/2018 at 11:12 PM, craigfjyp said:

T.I.A

There’s quite a few builds that still work ok. YouTube the nvidia build, it’s light, fast and most of it works. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bwm said:

There’s quite a few builds that still work ok. YouTube the nvidia build, it’s light, fast and most of it works. 

i'm using the onenation build atm mate, its actually pretty decent.

• Like 1

There’s just so many. Redemption build was my all time favourite but they stopped doing the builds. Shame, everything worked great and it looked good too. I’ve given up doing my own builds now as I seemed to be constantly tweaking and changing things.......takes over your life.

• Like 1