600w hps or 600w dual spectrum for flower ?

CoCoGrow

Looking at adding another lamp to my groom, kit comes with a dual spectrum bulb. Would I better to run the plain hps or dual spectrum do you reckon ? Already got a hps in there now for flower !

Cheers guys

Ccg

If you already have a pure hps I'd use the duel spec personally for a wider spectrum of light.

Admittedly I only run duel spec bulbs as I like the one bulb fits all kinda thing.

Need? I don't know but I know they will use the blue light as some people use MH from start to finish, although with a lesser yeild reported.

Naturally the sun goes more to the red spectrum come flowering season, but there is still some blue given out.

That was where my theory of using the duel spec for the wider spectrum comes from, the idea of mimicking the sun.

Not that the duel specs put out that much in the way of blue light anyways.

Could save you 20-30 quid though using the duel spec that comes with.

Although if it was just a cheap bulb I would replace it for whatever takes your fancy, I don't like cheap bulbs.

Do plants need blue spectrum in flower ?

Yep. Giving a plant just HPS lights is akin to feeding a human a diet of pringles. Maybe not that extreme but something like that!

Need? I don't know but I know they will use the blue light as some people use MH from start to finish, although with a lesser yeild reported.

Naturally the sun goes more to the red spectrum come flowering season, but there is still some blue given out.

That was where my theory of using the duel spec for the wider spectrum comes from, the idea of mimicking the sun.

Not that the duel specs put out that much in the way of blue light anyways.

Could save you 20-30 quid though using the duel spec that comes with.

Although if it was just a cheap bulb I would replace it for whatever takes your fancy, I don't like cheap bulbs.

Actually you'd be surprised the suns spectra output doesn't really differ that much its pretty much full spectrum all of the time. Have a google for 'cannabis absorption spectrum beta test team' for some great reading on the subject.

Edited by Golden Syrup
  • Like 2

Run pure HPS, or HPS and a little MH - wouldn't bother with dual spec they are the jack of all trades (but the master of none) ....and as a few pals of mine have found it can add a week or two to their flowering schedule when running dual spec lamps.

Light penetration is poor on a T5 so adding it in flower will do basically nothing, except maybe block some of the good HPS to the plants.

Seriously chuck your dual spec lamps in the bin.

• Like 2

I've got 600w hps and I've already ordered the new light with dual spec bulb included. Wasn't an option either way.

But will run as it is and see how it turns out, I'm about due new bulbs anyway as this will be my 3rd grow complete on them, so will just order hps next time if any issues

Ccg

Will make that 2x hps bulbs next flower then :)

What are bulbs usual lifespan before they need replacing ?

Metal Halide lamps go on basically forever without any loss in lumens (or PAR in plant speak) so despite what your grow shop might tell you there is little point in replacing them, HPS is up to you but I replace every 3 or 4 grows.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I thought a dual spec is just a hps with added bit of blue spectrum? doesn't that help with chlorophyl production...and trich production? So I can't understand how a dual spec will make leafier bud or be less efficient then a pure hps? Surely the dual spec is the overall winner because it provides a wider range of usable light?

Am I talking crap or?

• Like 1