Any Electricians about??

Steve The Weed

Hi All.

In process of upgrading grow room (again). Before I do it can anyone work out for me how much current this lot is pulling please?

12 x 4ft 32w flo's

4 x 2ft 18w flo's

1 x 600w HPS

3 x oscillating desk fans

Would like to know what the HPS is rated at as I may put another one in after August and have 2 flowering chambers.

Many thanks,

Steve The Weed

:mad:

hi steve,

from what info you gave, it works out at about 4.59 Amps based on a 230V supply. But this does not take into consideration the desk fans, but even if they are rated at 30w (that's the size of the one on my pc desk) then you are only looking at 4.98 Amps. All of which can be safely fiited to a 6Amp MCB in your distribution board

oh one other thing the HPS by its self will only draw 2.6 Amps in which case you would be best to spilt the lighting into two seperate circuits or run the whole setup off a 10 Amp MCB

The 600w HPS alone would probably trip a 6A MCB on start up. I wouldn't like to advise you on a figure, Steve. Your best bet is to see what it says on the ballasts or contact the manufacturer for advice.

HPS lights draw large currents till the bulb warms up and then drop back to a more reasonable level. My 600W HPS draws 3.2A after warm-up..I've no idea what the start-up current is though..

Maybe one day I'll bring home a meter from work and do some measurements on my HPS..

sorry I can't help more

MrB

hi there fella

ive read my ballest instructions steve and on start up for my super-nover 600  w  it reaches 9.2 at start up settling a 2.4 amps....

so a 10 amp would be cutting it short.... peice of mind would be a 13 amp or 15

and this would only acount for your light anways as much as i would like to stick my kneck on the line be safe steve

all the best Stoner.s

9 amps at start up hey! nasty!

A similar thing happens with fluoros too. The ballast will pull more current until the tube ignites. Hopefully you dont have the floros coming on at the same time as the HPS?

MrB

Thanks guys.

I have the 4ft flo's on 24hrs Mr B. The 4 x 2ft are keeping clones/seeds happy.

Phew 9amps at start up eh??? I have 2 options - staggered power up (easily achieved); run a second power supply into loft (a bit harder but achievable).

All in all though a lot less current than I'd thought it might be. Oh, did I mention the particle accelerator in the corner, forgot to add that in - use it for splitting seeds when they don't germ properly!!!!

Seriously, many thanks you lot.

Steve The Weed