Windows 10 free upgrade!?

Evelyn Pickaxe

same here, reserved it to give it a try but if its anything like 8.1, i'll go back to 7 as that works for me.

its an ok os 8 and 8.1 was just a joke....

ten looks ok i been on it for a few months now had shit loads of bugs but most seem fixed.

Windows 7 vs windows 10 its a hard one but i give it to 10 but only just.

what also concerns me in the long run is how much will MS will want for a licence for the "free" upgrade & as others have mentioned,

will they go down the same route as MS office's & charge you monthly, fuck that, open office does the same for free ;)

& besides paying for a new OS, my copy of w7 pro is the retail version & cost me £150, so im not keen on ditching it for no reason.

• Like 1

Microshaft have said that 10 upgrades will be free for the lifetime of the computer.

I wasnt offered last time I booted 7. Not that I can really see the point of "reserving" a download. More like an assurance not to be screwed around imo.

Got to be an upgrade rather than fresh install surely, or XP users will try and grab a copy as well.

Got my copy of W7 off Software For Students for about £30 after running crappy pirated versions of XP for years. I like it and I need it as I'm a gamer. I've registered for the free upgrade; easy enough to de-install it if I don't like it is my thinking.

Guest jacks lad

if i could go back i would never have got a pc, is difficult to put it down but i cut my internet use down to about an hour a day, will not be upgrading nothing.

• Like 1

i cut my internet use down to about an hour a day, will not be upgrading nothing.

see if you can yet it down to zero :yes:

• Like 3

Apparently 10 downloads gradually to your computer between now and launch ready to install at launch. They are giving it free as they want everyone on 10 because they are creating an "app store" like apples and androids. I also think they want to reduce the amount of versions they have to offer support and patches/service packs etc and will say there is no need to support for any other version as 10 can be had free. Effectively forcing everyone to upgrade, so they can sell you stuff through their store.

I have yet to find out if it is available as a complete install or just an upgrade. I think they will offer a complete install to allow users of older windows, that cant upgrade their copy, to get involved with the paid for apps.The minimum requirements to run it are quite low allowing even older computers to use it and imo this is so that they can push everyone to use it. On the plus side, it is supposed to be quite good according to people using the beta version.

do not download 10 if your currently running a dodgy copy of 7 ultimate ..you will be charged for 10 come july29th so ive just read

• Like 4

Hmm still running on vista ultimate here, hated 8.1 on the lappie but like the reports and look of 10. Perhaps that time to upgrade has come and its free.

* note to self read the small print and terms of use in detail before upgrading ;)

where? @@vince noir rock n roll star

as a mac user my own advice is to hackintosh if you can, free and better, but a mate runs a dodge 7 ultimate and was going to try this, be interested to know why that version is singled out

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/05/29/windows-10-release-date-new-free-upgrade-rules/2/

scroll down half way

• Like 1

I'm using 7. 8 is shit. 10 Should be good though. Every other OS is good, then shit..., if you know what I mean

For the reason that microsoft seem to be pushing everybody to upgrade I'm naturally suspicious and windows 7 works great for me

• Like 2