CXB3590 LED build for veg DR60

kytaez

Hi there!! Recently moved house and going for stealthy all new setup in the loft. Security, safety and efficiency are main goals.

Building this light to replace my old 2XPL55 (110w) propagation light in SJ DR60 tent.

Its a bit of practice before building flowering room's COB based panels. :yahoo:

Finished the light last night and done a little test. Cant believe its only 40 watts!!!

Its 2X Cree CXB3590 5000K 36V driven by Meanwell PCD-40-500 and fixed on a pair of heatsinks ripped from broken power amp :kwasny:

Just wanted to check myself if those LED are any good. So far im impressed!

Still need to do extended time temperature measurements.....

Ill keep you informed ;)

Cheers !!

• Like 2

Yes mate, Get on the cob train :D choo choo ... There are couple of us here now running cree's..

A few observations I hope you won't mind me noting;

a) mounting of cobs -- I think providing you have tightened those screws to ~ similar torque it should be okay... You can buy a proper mounting plate from ideal (50-2234C - part no. for 3070 chip but 3590 will be similar)

that said lots of people are happy with kapton tape & thermal paste..

b) quite important ---

I don't think your getting 40W from your driver... at least....

the driver you have is rated for 80V max Vo.

you have 2 cxb3590's which are 72V each @ 1.4A (or whatever cree test current is) (unless you have 36V 3590's??)

so your drivers are expecting to see somewhere in the region of 70V each, = a driver capable of delivering 140V max Vo

at the moment they will only be getting 40V each. (i'm surprised its turned on...)

can you take a voltage reading from the cob terminals and see what your getting ?

c) psyched for ya mate! these things are bad ass.

a) nice cobs, what bin did you get?

did you research much about getting the 5000k for veg?

Edited by Badders

@@Badders

You should read the post better before you say things like (i'm surprised its turned on...)

He said "2X Cree CXB3590 5000K 36V" in very first post.

See 36v not 72v

Tut tut Cree Guru :yahoo:

• Like 5

Jeez

I rushed my answer because I was concerned heh. I even bold underlined my secondary thought that they might be 36V.

too bad for me.

Edited by Badders

Cheers Badders for thumbs up! And yeah, those screws just to hold Cobs in place with minimal torque on them.

And CBXs indeed 36V CD bin from KB(had to wait a bit).

Didn't do any measurements yet but running the light for couple evenings and so far happy with it.

Heatsinks warm to touch (I'd say few degrees higher than body temperature).

One thing for sure I DO need to put dimmer on it! And this means more research (or someone got any advice on that?) :)

Also going to re-solder everything (fuck that "lead-free" shite!)

And on the whole LED "thing" for me it's still too early to make any claims before I actually do the full grow with it myself.

Cheers!!! :)

HA! Hero mate, I'm waiting on KB atm for some 3 and 3.5K

I just looked at the lumen output for the 5k haha, 12k lumens, makes the 3k's looks inefficient haha.

To dim you leds get a dimmer switch and put in in the L or N of your supply to the driver, theres a bit of info on suitable dimmers on the datasheet but I suspect any triac based dimmer will work...

I know what you mean about lead free solder, doesn't flow quite as easily....

was there any particular reason you went 36v? cheaper for drivers?

How long was your delivery from KB btw?

cheers dude, I think you will be very happy with the performance of the cobs.

e2a

hey dude, can you gimme the dimensions on your heatsink;

base thickness

# fins

fin height

and total length

just curious as to your surface area etc..

Edited by Badders

@@Badders

You should read the post better before you say things like (i'm surprised its turned on...)

He said "2X Cree CXB3590 5000K 36V" in very first post.

See 36v not 72v

Tut tut Cree Guru :yahoo:

FYI the cree gurus aren't on this forum, but they're out there, quietly collecting data and collating it into unbiased spreadsheets and concise qualitative information. 3 wise men, who all converted from HID heheh

Edited by Badders

FYI the cree gurus aren't on this forum, but they're out there, quietly collecting data and collating it into unbiased spreadsheets and concise qualitative information. 3 wise men, who all converted from HID heheh

Yes that is fine and good. I guess the Info you all collect will help.

I was more interested in the fact that You speak about and tell everyone about how important the collating of your info into unbiased spreadsheets and concise qualitative information is and how important it is to understand it.

So I would of hoped that you Read all this very very intently. After all that you miss in bloody bold the most important part of the post...

PS im very much not against LED infact im just siting back until a day when a seed breeder uses them .. and i dont mean like Dutch passion who just sell rebrand kit and brag.

@@kytaez

Love the build. Look very neat and clean.

Pics show all that is needed to build a nice setup.

Hope the grow's go well be watching with intrest

Dirty

• Like 1

Jeez

I rushed my answer because I was concerned excited heh. I even bold underlined my secondary thought that they might be 36V.

too bad for me.

Fixed that for ya Badders....... :rofl: