back in the game!

5tealthman

So I dug out the old server tower in January to upgrade it for my new stealth build, I very rarely smoke these days but I wanted a project and figured I'll try and improve the yield in comparison to my previous build.

the original build had a 105w cfl, so I decided to upgrade this first seeing as this was the wrong spectrum for flowering anyway. I ordered a 125w (every little helps) as that was the largest that would fit into the case. Unfortunately (it would of been very fortunate in any other situation) I was sent a 150w which was too big. however, I decided to expand the rear of the case as this would allow additional space to upgrade the carbon filter.

so, next step was a carbon filter. I made a box and filled it with 500g of activated charcoal and added x2 dual xbox 360 cooling fans (these tend to be the only fans I can find that have enough 'pull')

next I upgraded the fans at the front of the box to 140mm ones. both draws air from outside the box one is at the bottom, and the other is at the top to cool the oversized bulb. I linked all the fans to a fan speed control box which originally worked brilliantly but failed after a week. the fans are all now directly linked to 12v so all run at full speed.

the next part was a scrog, as I've never used one before. made a basic one from some electrical wire but it's probably a bit too low (time will tell)

finally the plants. I have x2 c99 plants in there in the largest pots I could fit in, although looking at them I will probably remove one.

It's interesting to see the difference between them though, you would never tell that they are both the same! one is spindly and lanky and the other is really short and bushy.

I have followed the 'lbh famous scrog tutorial',

the taller plant is doing 'ok' and has been topped once.

the smaller bushy one is an animal, it has just exploded everywhere and it has now been topped several times (as per the guide) and it's been tied down. looking at it now I will have to switch the lighting soon! or it will be too much for the case.

so far I'm chuffed with the build and the grow but I'm struggling with the temps. they average 32 degrees and thats with all the fans on full. The tower is inside a aquarium stand so it's already warm under there with all the filtration. thankfully I can leave the side of the case cracked open until flowering. I plan on rectifying this by adding fans to the aquarium cabinet to draw cool air in and expel the hot air out.

finally, where's the best place to host pictures and I'll upload some this weekend?

Sounds like a great build dude, I hope those fans provide enough pressure to provide the room with enough air exchange etc...

Pictures please :D

What are the dimensions of your server tower?

Oh come on! Give the pictures another try, I would love to see this build. If I can post pics anybody can!

;)

Try again bud...

Good luck bro..

Haha just tried again and they came up too small to see! The thread said.use irfanview to resize to 600 pixels but my versionndoes not have an option to resize to 600, it's like 600x480 and stuff.

I use pixlr express to resize on my android so I guess most folks can.

It resizes to 640 x 360

I then upload to gallery.

Hit share links button.

Copy And paste bb code in post.

Done...

I want to see the tower mate...

Sounds cool...

Hey mate,

I just edit them in paint,

open in paint

the number at bottom of the screen will tell you current size (you want just under 1mb)

press resize (top left) change percentage ie 25% and then press save and this should give you your new size.

If it's too big or small adjust as necessary.

There is a few ways to do it but this works for me, definitely worth the effort to work it out.

C.

You can convert a PC but not use one??

Pretty much. I can also build an I7 gaming rig but when it comes to software I'm atrocious.

• Like 2

Apologies for the delay. Crystal - those sizes did the trick!

So this is the tower. You can see the cabinet that it is stored in behind.

gallery_61415_10991_13728.jpg

This is the extended part that I had to make to accomodate the larger bulb and carbon filtration.

gallery_61415_10991_36443.jpg

The rear with the xbox fans and the fan controller. It was wired up so that the far left controlled the xbox fans, the next the upper intake fan/bulb cooling fan and the next controlled the lower intake. good in theory but blew after running for 48 hours. I guess 2A was too much. realistically fans need to be ran on full anyway to keep temps down.

gallery_61415_10991_50498.jpg

Internal pic with my very basic scrog.

gallery_61415_10991_20175.jpg

DIY carbon filter

gallery_61415_10991_51805.jpg

Plant No1 (right hand side) I've never seen a plant grow this short and bushy....... even my lowryder a few years back was far higher than this!

gallery_61415_10991_1178.jpg

Plant No2 as you can see she is a lot more 'leggy' looking at how nicely the first one is growing i may take her out as space is tight as it is.

gallery_61415_10991_6854.jpg

the two in situ

gallery_61415_10991_10220.jpg

and again from above with scrog removed

gallery_61415_10991_11513.jpg

And one more time from the side

gallery_61415_10991_41430.jpg

• Like 3

@@5tealthman loving it bud, glad the resize worked. Nice looking build, pot up both in a tupperware, bend like nobody's business, lift the scrog an inch or two and it's all good. Will work grand as it is though, just my 2p. Good luck bud will be popping my head in now and again if it's cool....

Crystal

cheers crystal, i've looked for tupperware tubs but cannot seem to find the right size. these pots fit in...... Just.

I've also debated raising the scrog but I have never grown C99 before so unsure what stretch to expect. I'll wait another week or so before i flip and then decide what to do with the scrog them.

What's the size of your footprint inside the tower...the void left by round pots in wee spaces is wasted root mass and water/nutrient uptake...just my thoughts..post your dimensions bud

;)