Feminized seeds explained?

showgirl

Can Dutch Passion explain to me what is a feminized seed you sell? Is it selfed(Hermied) from a few good phenotypes? Or are they selfed from randon plants? Or are there other ways? Thank you for your explainations as it is my first time growing fem seeds and not sure what to reasonably expect. Showgirl

@@showgirl im not from dutch passion, but theres threads galore on here about breeding, also i think collodial silver has a lot to do with producing fem beans aswell! Just my 2p

proper breeders dont use coloidial silver to make femmed beans you can use that stuff but most breeders will use gibrilic acid , Im pretty sure the spelling of both those are not correct but i cant be bothered to figure it out now. the g. acid stuff is a lot more reliable and produces more pollen quicker as far as im aware.

but c.s will do the job if your just a home breeder and/or experimenting its also easily made at home using a phone charger some water an some silver wire.

the acid or silver when applied to female plants basically causes the plants to produce pollen sacks instead of female flowers or pollen sacks aswell as female flowers. this pollen from these sacks however only contains female dna and xx chromosomes. so no male dna is present in the pollen. this results in the seeds being 100% female.

however you can not just pick and mix any 2 plants for the seeds to be viable and not hermie a lot.

the plant you are going to reverse has to be thoroughly tested and stressed to ensure that the plant on its own does not reverse itself or hermie as some like to call it an probably im assuming its better to stress test both parent plants although i wud have thought the one being treated is most important. if it does reverse or produce pollen sacks without the aid of chemicals then its a lot more likely the trait of reversing sex will be passed on to the seeds. plants that do this should not be used to make feminised seeds. as far as im aware all decent breeders do some sort of stress testing etc.

if the plants are not easily stressed and do not hermie easily then they can be used to make feminised seeds and you should find pretty much all the seeds will be good and will not reverse unless really in rare circumstances if really stressed. they will all obviously be female aswell.

sometimes tho you can get the odd one here an there i think its 1:1000 on average that does hermie an sometimes rarely you can find some that will produce the odd pollen sack(s) but you can usually remove the odd lil one here an there. ive never had a full on hermie from femmed beans in 8 yrs of growing them every grow 4-5 grows a year. but ive had a few plants with the odd pollen sacks here an there ( they usually show quit early aswell within the first 2-4 weeks). ive never had to get rid of a plant cos of them tho an always managed to remove them without em growing back or causing too much of an issue with seeded bud.

• Like 5

Thanks for the informative information and link. I never thought there was so much involved! I know I grew out a few odd bag seed that a plant through out and all were female and as good as the hermmed mother. fyi information I am growing fem blueberry from DP and some Mama Mia fem from someone else. I am restling with the girls right know with nute burn from a lame purchace of soil that is too hot.:( Things should work out ,just a lot more work.lol sg

proper breeders dont use coloidial silver to make femmed beans you can use that stuff but most breeders will use gibrilic acid , Im pretty sure the spelling of both those are not correct but i cant be bothered to figure it out now. the g. acid stuff is a lot more reliable and produces more pollen quicker as far as im aware.

I don't think so. GA3 has some unpleasant side effects like a very inconvenient stretching. Gibberellic Acids acts a growth regulator and may lead to dna degradation.

I used GA3 for germinating old seeds, and is not effective as it should.

The most extended technique is widely the STS. More toxic and difficult to get than Colloidal Silver, but effective with no side effects in the offspring -except the big con all fem seeds; genetic poorness.

So as a tip;

1) don't use ga3 for feminizing

2) don't lose your time usinh ga3 for sprouting your old seeds

Cheers!

• Like 1

I've just had a full male from a femmed seed, didn't realise I'd been so unlucky with those odds lol...typical!

thats impossible tho. im gonna say the classic "pics or it never happened!" line. lol

an yea i forgot that sts stuff even existed.

Edited by Grimweeder

they are not true males though mate. they will be females that have just reversed themselves. the pollen within the sacks will only be female an contain only female DNA (XX)

the sweet seeds is odd tho cos thats like saying sweet seeds are not feminised the same way as everyone elses (although they probably are)

when there is no male dna contained in the pollen you can not get a true male its just not possible, you can get hermaphrodite plants that will be female with "male" flowers, and often contain both buds and pollen sacks A true male has both X and Y chromosomes anything that comes from a feminised seed will only have XX chromosomes and will not contain the Y for male dna.

if you were to breed with that "male" assuming it was not a regular seed put in there by mistake( or on purpose who knows?) then you would find the seeds to be all female but likely showing some pollen sacks. its just odd or rare to get plants that produce all pollen sacks and not any hairs at all but even then they are in no way true males. they jus look like it.

Edited by Grimweeder

the sweet seeds is odd tho cos thats like saying sweet seeds are not feminised the same way as everyone elses (although they probably are)

They use a different process to other breeders and do indeed produce 1:300 males!

All the info and techniques on the sweets forum, or links to the relevant bits on their site at least. They're very open with how they do it, less chance of hermies apparently using their method

• Like 1

@@Grimweeder It is NOT impossible though is it. 1 in 300 WILL be a true male with sweetseeds :yep:

Cheers :smokin:

Tbh i would kill for a jack 47 male

I would let him bust all over my bitches lol lol