When to put seedlings under LED?

HerbalEnthusiast

Hi, I'm starting my first grow ever.

I'm using a 60 x 5w Vipar LED that draws 180w from the socket.

My seeds 'Female Seeds - C99' were germinated by the paper towel and plate method for 2 days until the taproot was between 1cm and 2cm long. I then transported them into Coco Cana + which was pre-soaked with distilled water. They've been in the coco around 2 and a half days under humidity domes in the growdrobe I am not feeding no nutrients as I reckon the plants are too small and do not want to damage them so early in their growth.

I've spoke to someone, who has a few grows under his belt, who's being giving me advice however he's never grown with LED before but he said as soon as they're through the soil get the light on them as long as its not too hot.

He said it may be bad veging under the LED, because it has to be kept at least 2 foot above the canopy that they will stretch massively and became really thin and lanky. Anyone confirm or deny this?

The light is just over 2 foot above the seedlings. Should I keep the light on now? Is there any damage to the plants if I turn it off till they're a little taller?

Any help is much appreciated,

HerbalEnthusiast. :oldtoker::oldtoker:

You need light as soon as they pop up from the coco, no idea the deal with LED's wouldn't have thought they would have to be 2ft away though, I thought they would have been more like fluorescent lights and you could have them within a few cm.

Never used them though so better wait for that to be confirmed.

180watts from the socket, would have been better with a 150W HPS in all honesty, would have got more bud for sure, and a watt is a watt so heat wise makes no difference.

Edited by ELO

Guest zypheruk

2-2.5ft once they get going u can drop it down, just keep an eye on them for bleaching. No problems with vegging vipar 400w.

If ur really not confident use some low power cfl to start them, cheaper on electric for the first few weeks.

I wouldn't even have a 250W MH or HPS that far away from seedlings in all honesty.

I agree mate, but i've read a lot about bleaching and LEDs so I'm just trying to be on the safe side.

Thank all for their help, i'm going to keep the light on.

• 2 weeks later...

My seeds germs under led as i had lack of space..I move the light down as they start stretch..Bleaching is more common with 5 watt although it can happen with three watt but it has to be quite close for it to happen..Mines at 18 inch