LED street lights

Arthurmeadowfield

Does anyone know if these would be effective for vegging?

I have established they have a Phillips made driver rated at 75watt so I would assume the LED's are going to be Phillips too!!

Very little heat generation from them allegedly and obviously very bright per watt.

Would like to know lumens output, equivalent HID wattage(normal street lights are around 250w I think) and light temperature in kelvin. (Probably around 6500k by the looks of them)

Will they work?

You might have trouble getting the light close enough

Shimmy up the poll and build a mini tree house style growbox inder the street lap lol

• Like 4

If the plant manages to grow that big then I won't care much about anything!!! lol

Now I will add that you would need to take the driver and led panel out of the fixture and mount it on some kind of plate/frame to hold it kind of like a normal reflector.

That is assuming you can aquire such an LED panel and driver without resorting to climbing a street light pole stealing one!!

Edited by Arthurmeadowfield

Are the council selling them off, or are you going direct to supplier?

If so, please remember that the price they initially quote will be excluding vat.

Otherwise, hanging baskets could be utilized. With a Harry Potter style cloak of invisibility.

e2a I'm still not sure whether or not you're suggesting you remove them from the lamp post, but I'd suggest just buying some leds on the internet, if that's what you want to use :)

Edited by T-Rix
  • Like 1

Hypothetically speaking of course!!! If one had one of theses fittings and removed the bits that make the light work. Mounted it and made a reflector.

The light is bright at floor lever from the height they are mounted so you can imagine how it is at a few inches(in theory) I just want to know if it's the right kind of light and as they don't give off much heat(again in theory) they are a very good solution to small indoor grows at least for the vegging stage.

They do have a remote control device to dim/time them also which would need to be removed and allow it to time.

Right so!!! Time to come clean, I have got one of these lamps that we given to me by an engineer. Surplus stock or something. I have stripped it out of the case and made a very basic timber box with reflective sheet to act as an enclosure for it.

I have put it over 4 seedlings, 3 are just feminised seeds and one is auto fem. two of the fem are 1024. The other two seeds were freebies with the order. I only really have room for 4 plants in my flower box and 4 in my veg cupboard. I already have 4 in flower and they were my first ever plants. It's a basic setup and I really don't want to get all technical just yet. The flower box is under cfl's as its small and I can't justify the billion ££££'s of electric that my 600w hid costs to run and cool(acquired it from a mate)

Now the veg cupboard with the led light is doing well. The plants seem strong even though they have only just popped through and are about 3 inch tall. It looks plenty bright enough and keeps the area at around 23 deg c at the soil surface. It is indoors though so subject to Central heating too.

With a bit of luck this free LED system may prove invaluable and I can mount it a bit better for the next grow

• Like 1

I've got some near me, they are much brighter than the sodium but not sure what wattage they are.

If you can shin up and get one without blowing yourself up then good luck to ya!

They look light 'warm White' so should be good for flowering.

The modern ones seem to be most useful at 3 ft above canopy?

Good luck with them.

I have pix but I can't get them to upload. Can't remember how I managed it last time!! lol

3ft above the canopy? I'm gonna have to knock a hole in the ceiling if these plants grow big!!!! I will see how they go. I did have two of the ones currently in the flower box under it but they are auto's that I ordered in error/noobness and they stayed low and bushy but have since stretched so that makes me think this lamp is powerful.

You can turn off the whole light pole from the floor, shinny up and disconnect it and then make your escape but that would be naughty and dangerous. Mine was acquired by legal means. It says 75w on the label(pictured if they get uploaded) and xitanium

Pix are in my gallery if you want to have a look

Edited by Abe Froman
to remove email address
  • Like 1

Yea why? They run direct off the mains breaker in the lamp post!!

Edited by Arthurmeadowfield

I have just acquired a set of 2 led 150w drivers made by Harvard and 6 strips of 180 led (SMD) unfortunately one driver doesn't seem to work and two of the strips have some sort of damage rendering the DOA.

So I think I will run the 4 strips from the 150w driver that works.

I have tested them for a short period and the are extremely bright. I think I am going to end up being an LED grower!!!! Just need to get some red ones to compliment the white