Using a dehumidifier to dry

hops

Dehumidified is the best way imo for my situation, here in the UK we do get high humidity especially down here in the south west upto 85-90% when its raining. I put my dehumidifier on an inkbird humidity controller set to 60% with the sensor inbetween the buds, it takes just over 3 weeks to dry, nice long and slow. I deflect the breeze coming from dehumidifier down and have a fan in the bottom of tent moving air around constantly with no direct breeze over buds, I've set the extractor fan to burp the tent every hour for 15mins on the timer. This is the best way for me, I've never had a cool stable place to dry, I've lived in many different places and all haven't had that cool stable environment of 16c 60% that people rave about for perfect long slow drys, usually it's a less than ideal shed in the garden. Since going about it in this way I've had the nicest easiest to cure bud, no hay like most of my previous attempts..

Had to share my views as it seems very negative on here about dehumidifiers, I wanted information from you experts that might help me improve my technique. I hope this helps people like me that have struggled to dry in the past.

• Like 2

I get exactly the same effect using a heater to control humidity @moose

Humidity is a function of temperature 

Without doing something you get bud that isn’t dry properly and goes through a few stages as it reverts back to not snapping and not burning clean it’s highly complex 

Yes that was the usual state of affairs before having a dehumidifier, bud reverting back to non snappy in higher humudity and tasting like hay because of it, I'm weary of using a heater, my mates swear by, but after reading any temps above 20c will burn off terpenes and as the temps are around that already some days in the shed and humudity in the 80s heating doesn't feel like the answer to me.. 

• 2 weeks later...

Temps above 20C will lose terps they are volatile.

RH below 50% will cause terps to be lost too.

This is why (based on experience) dehumidifiers are not considered a good idea - YMMV.

• Like 1

I use a mini dehumidifier in my little drying fridge and have fantastic results, its all about how you run it to keep the drying process slow enough. I can't really see how it makes any difference if the excess moisture coming from the buds goes out through the extractor or into the catch tank of a dehumidifier.

My flats tiny, so the whole thing is essentially one big lung room for my tent, that means it often has completely the wrong temperature/humidity for me to dry my herb, the fridge solves that issue perfectly.    

So yeah, don't be too quick to shit all over other peoples ideas/suggestions, you might learn something or at least prevent yourself from looking like a cock lol.

And don't just take my word for it...

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1