STR 1.5A+STC-1000 How to connect?

Big_Fella

Greetings!

I have

STR 1.5A

STC-1000

Omron MY2N-J 8 pin relay

After short time of reading i decided to upgrade my variac and add a thermostat to it. I`m not a professional but i can understand diagrams the only thing i`m struggle to understand how to plug 8pin relay to the variac... Any suggestions, and more important any pictures who`ve done that?

I have big reservations about sticking my oar in here as my attempt at doing what you are proposing wasn't a great success. I couldn't stop the damn step transformer from blowing fuses.

But what you want to do is take the live output from the transformer and connect it to one of the normally closed contacts on the relay. Then connect the normally open contact to the live from your mains supply and take the output from the common terminal for both to the fan with the stc-1000 switching the relay between the two.

Peace

Hello Laph! Didn`t expected you in my thread, coz i accept you as a Guru of variacs! Don`t blame me if i will ask few silly questions as not that good with terms...

1) First of all i have a scheme for connections is it correct?

post 46350 0 64710100 1338142648

2) Relay base have 4 contact on each side, what is what?

3) Variac inside have few color wires coming to the microcircuit(different voltage) and two gray wires going out of the switch.... That`s what confused me, recording to the scheme i need to connect the relay to the lowest and highest voltage points,which will be max and low fan speed. Sorry if my explanation is a bit difficult to understand, i`m not english....

Edited by Big_Fella

I`m trying to understand explanation you gave me and feel my self like a scholar who missed the lesson(

Can we agree that i`ll do a pictures of all my stuff put the numbers on the connects and it`s will be easyer to explain and understand?

I'm no guru mate, just someone who was terrified of electricity until the kind folk here showed me the way. When I did this I just used the step transformer to supply the low speed and took my high speed directly from the mains. I'm really not sure how to go about tapping the coil directly for both. You'll need someone who knows what they're talking about for that like Scraglor.

Sorry

Ok Here is some pictures of what i have inside the variac an relay
This is a switch wiring

IMG 5707

You can see different speed numbers and wires coming out to a switch

IMG 5706

Overall view of variac

IMG 5704

Relay

IMG 5711

As well i have thermostat STC-1000
Can anyone help me with pluggin it all together?
Edited by Big_Fella

That circuit works, I've been using it for a while now, no sparks or blown fuses!

I have mine setup so that the fan gets either 230V or 110V (same as switch settings 5 & 3 resp. on my STR).

You will need a big box to put it all in, or a short length of mains cable if you want to keep the STR intact.

gallery_46350_5285_17656.jpg

This photo was taken before I drilled the holes for the cables and fixed things down, not a very good photo but might help.

All neutrals (blue wires) are connected together (commoned).

The brown wire with the green sleeve is the switched output to the fan.

The brown with the black sleeve is for the heater, all other brown wires are commoned as per diagram.

I have kept my STR intact and used a short length of 4-way mains cable (the black cable with brown, blue, black and white wires) to connect it to my controller box.

gallery_46350_5285_48958.jpg

Edited by NattyFido2
  • Like 1

Hello Laph! Didn`t expected you in my thread, coz i accept you as a Guru of variacs! Don`t blame me if i will ask few silly questions as not that good with terms...

1) First of all i have a scheme for connections is it correct?

2) Relay base have 4 contact on each side, what is what?

3) Variac inside have few color wires coming to the microcircuit(different voltage) and two gray wires going out of the switch.... That`s what confused me, recording to the scheme i need to connect the relay to the lowest and highest voltage points,which will be max and low fan speed. Sorry if my explanation is a bit difficult to understand, i`m not english....

The diagram looks like it should work, but I've not played with one of those step transformers before. I'd ignore the circuit board - it's just a nicer way of cabling and holding the fuse. The best thing to do would be to (carefully) test each output with a voltmeter and figure out what current goes where.

Have a look at the little diagram on top of the relay and it explains how to wire it up. Terminals 13 and 14 energise the coil so you need to attach the cooling output from the STC here as per your diagram (the terminal numbers are in tiny writing on the base either above or below the terminal). Doesn't really matter which way positive on 13 or 14 and negative on the other. I usually go with whatever looks tidiest.

As it's a DPDT you can use 1,5,9 or 4,8,12 as the NC/NO terminals. Normal input goes to 1 or 4, cooling override goes to 5 or 8, and the fan goes to 9 or 12.

Greeting Gentlemen!

Thank you all for giving your time to my problem, i think it`s one of the times when i jealous that i was a bad schoolar. Electricity is not my best side... As Mr NattyFido2 uses same variac i`ll follow his connections. Only thing i curios about those 2 wires mains from STR A B where ezactly i should plug them? Is it possible to make a picture of the variac inside?

Sorry Mooker but what are normal inputs? Cooling override? can you name it different please or explain in other words.. Never done such a things before, not mention HPS or any other lighting connections!

Edited by Big_Fella

gallery_46350_5285_186997.jpg

From left to right:

Earth Green/Yellow

Live in Brown

Neutral in Blue

Neutral out Blue

Live out (230V, switch position 0 = OFF otherwise ON) Brown wire = 230V to STC-1000 and relay, Black wire = 230V for maximum speed via relay contacts

Controlled Live out (110V, 140V, 170V, 200V, 230V depending on switch position) White

I used four-way cable because that gives me to option of setting a different maximum voltage/speed by moving the Black wire, for instance, if I wanted the maximum voltage to be 200V, the Black would connect where the Orange wire is (from switch).

Edited by NattyFido2

Thank you very much!!! That make sense for me now! The only thing left is my relay... it`s a bit different from yours....

Greeting Gentlemen!

Thank you all for giving your time to my problem, i think it`s one of the times when i jealous that i was a bad schoolar. Electricity is not my best side... As Mr NattyFido2 uses same variac i`ll follow his connections. Only thing i curios about those 2 wires mains from STR A B where ezactly i should plug them? Is it possible to make a picture of the variac inside?

Sorry Mooker but what are normal inputs? Cooling override? can you name it different please or explain in other words.. Never done such a things before, not mention HPS or any other lighting connections!

Didn't see your comment, hence delayed reply. Normal input would be the voltage from the variac that goes to the fans under normal conditions; when the temp is just where you want it. The override would be the higher voltage from the variac, or full mains voltage, that you want to send to the fans when the temps are too high.