My budget loft groom

Trojanhawrs

Evening all, i do have a grow diary started but I wanted to get some specific feedback on my room.

My pictures are only of the finished article (not to mention shite), but ill walk through how i put it together in case it inspires anyone to do the same!

I decided I wanted to start up a grow a few months ago, and decided the loft would be the least intrusive place.

I went up there hoping to find a nice vacant area, ideally that id be able to stand up in. . . no such luck. The angular beams peaked at about 4.5 feet, and there were sheets of thick glass fibre covering most of the floorspace.

But once ive got an idea in my head i can be a stubborn git.

I discovered that its pretty breezy up there, indicating that its well ventilated (roof insulation is also nonexistent). While i saw this as an advantage as it makes extraction and intake much more simple, it does mean that it gets very cold and very hot up there.

I used thin ply 4x2 sheets to board across the angular beams effectively making a prism, although i did have to run them vertically at a later point as i ran outa floor. Then i just dumped the glass fibre insulation which had been sitting on the floor ontop of my little hut. Spent about 13 quid for a couple of 8x4 sheets of that.

I bought some kingspan-like insulation from a local diy shop, cost me about £15 for an 8'x4' sheet, it is fairly thin stuff (25mm) but hopefully will suffice. This was just enough to do my back and front wall. I cut a door out of the insulation and just used some duct tape to fashion a handle and reinforce the hinge which was just the insulation covering - didnt slice completely through on one side. Its really kooshty stuff for fashioning ventholes and the like - stanley goes straight through it without a fuss, and i used a kitchen knife to slice the final few mm.

Covered all the points which air could escape (as best i could) with duct tape, then set about reflective sheeting it. Secured with a combo of duct tape, and double sided carpet tape for overlapping bits. Spent about 15 quid just on tape here, that carpet tape is truly exorbitant, a fiver for 10 measley metres. Ill give it its due though, it is fuckin wonderful stuff.

Spent 20 odd quid on 10 metres of the total blackout sheeting, probably only used half of it. Good stuff to have extra of though.

So all in all, i made a 4x5 ft-ish grow space (on the floor, starts tapering 2 ft up from the sides) for about £70. You can get tents pretty cheaply these days, but theyre not insulated and not ideal for many loft conditions, and with my limited space I really needed to squeeze all the area that I could outa it.

Would welcome some feedback, and also some advice on what size of light I should use to get the most of my space. Ive currently got a 250w hid, and i cant get it an awful lot higher than 3ft from the floor. Extraction is a 4" RVK 100.

• Like 3

I have a similar set up. It's a bit more ghetto looking than yours and it's been shut down for a couple of months after I lost all my motivation (growtivation?) after a spider mite attack. I'm off up there to clean it all out and rip out the existing fan system and replace with something more efficient and hopefully quieter. (Dull droning noise at night that was amplified by a built in cupboard below for some reason) I shall take pics and post them up and you can at least see where I went wrong. First thing I'm doing is implementing a passive intake system and losing the intake fan - I thought I should maybe trail intake ducting to the eaves either side as in summer, my temps are through the roof - or possibly draw up through the floor from a cupboard in my bedroom ( I wish I had thought of this before screwed the floor down and popped the walls up.) also the negative pressure was pulling the orca from the walls and the floor ballooned up like a hover craft skirt so staple gun might help. Just waiting for my pesky neighbours to go out shopping! I'm up against it time wise as I've just popped some babies under a t5 in a cupboard so best get their new home ready. Will take pics today and try to post them later. Yours Looks good though and you have motivated me today! Sorry I'm not much help :)

Edited by Kiminal

@Kiminal Alright bud, glad to hear youre kicking it back into gear! Would love to see some pics of yours as well

Funny you should mention the negative pressure lifting your floor, mine was doing exactly the same thing. After reading a bit more about ventilation i realised that my passive intake hole (that wee one on the far right) wasnt nearly big enough, smaller than my active outtake.

Dont know what size your outtakes were, but from what i can gather it should be 4-5 times the size of your extraction (mines 4" dia, so cut a 8" dia hole).

It still pulls a wee bit but its much better, my humidities risen as well but cant say if its related. Got a couple layers of spreader mat covering the passive holes just to stop bits of glass fibre getting in (and maybe bugs?)

Guest dpdpdpdpdp

dude as ghetto as it is, if it works you've saved yourself money and will still produce good smoke

however for the size of that groom you could have a nice lil HID bulb in there, and a 4" extractor will not be manly enough for this...especially in the summer

@dpdpdpdpdp I am slightly concerned about the size of my extraction. . .may have to persevere for this grow though, dont have 200 sheet to spare currently.

Also dont want to buy a cheapo setup, but will get some oscillating fans just to help em breathe in the heat

you should get some sheets of cooker hood filter material to cover your intake holes,

it'll let the air in but should block the light out & filter out any debris or bugs getting in.

same with your extraction, unless the other end of the accoustic ducting in the grow area

is totally sealed, you can get smell leaks through it.

@@Joint hogger been using spreader mat up til now, but that sounds ideal! trust it doesnt flake off too much?

extraction duct is running right through a hole in the board, sealed with duct tape

no, the cooker material doesn't flake if thats what you mean ?

as for the ducting, i was meaning the bit where it joins your filter,

the inner duct has holes in it so that it helps deaden the sound of air moving

through the holes, its the outer sleeve bit that you need to make sure is sealed

from sucking in any air thats not been filtered

@@Joint hogger Ah, im with you now. Aye, was on about the material flakin, trying to keep it as clean as possible.

Thats some good info bud, will try to put it to good use!