Advice germinating seeds

Afternoon guys, just after a bit of advice please

I'm just in the process of germinating a few seeds, and going to try putting them in peat plugs once the seeds have cracked

Now my questions are :

At this stage would they benefit from having the lid on the propagator. Or should that be left off ?

I'm planning on just putting them in my kitchen, under the kitchen light, would this be ok ? And if so how long will they last in the peat pellets before I need to pot up ?

Thanks very much guys

you can put the seeds straight into the peat plugs un-germed and then peat plugs in the prop. once they sprout take off the prop lid and under a light. you will not get more than a week in the plugs some small pots on stand by.

• Like 2

Well, most of them have popped up but ive noticed the little stem turning brown on quite a few of them

What would cause this please and how can I fix it ?

Thanks again

Yes mate its a red/brown, I thought i might have root rot or something lol !

Glad they are ok then

Theres no roots popping out of the bottom yet so im guessing they are still ok in the pellets for now ?

Thanks again Vic

I normally use the paper towel method , bit of damp kitchen roll seeds in then put them in between two plates . Then put a folded towel on ya sky box an stick the plate with the seeds in on the towel that's on the sky box . It's like havin Heat mat under them , mine normally all pop in 24 -36 hours this way

Yeah they will ok for now. When you see roots pot them up.

If your going into soil then water them in with plain water, just enough to moisten all of the soil in the pot.

If your going into coco then water in with 0.25ml of a and the same of b.

• Like 1

Vic, another question please mate

Now I may have to work away until Monday, would the seedlings last that long until I got back ?

At the minute they are about an inch above the pellets, but no roots coming out the bottom as of yet

Currently under a 600w hps which is about 1 metre away at the minute

I dont want to kill them lol

Cheers mate

It would be risky to leave them that long. I would pot them up before you go then if the roots get going then they somewhere to go. Keep the 600w high and if they strech while your away it will be easier to fix that cooked plants.

Or if you cant pot them up put all the pellets in a tray then mist/moisten them and stick them under a household cfl or low output grow light if you have one. Not ideal but it will give them a chance while your gone.

• Like 1

Thanks again mate, ive managed to get out of working away so ill be able to sort them :-)

They are getting taller, but still no signs of the roots out of the side or bottom yet, as soon as I see the roots coming through I will get them potted up

Appreciate the help Vic

• Like 1

Just for my information mate,

What would happen if I left the seeslings too long in the pellets ?

Im guessing once the roots start coming out, they will die off with the light ? Not sure if thats right or not lol

Thanks again

Guest tempa

the biggest risk would be that they will dry out mate, if they were still moist then the roots would be fine like when cuttings are took some people leave it untill there are lots of root showing/exposed ... i would pot them up keep the light high up that way they wont dry out

tempa

• Like 1