Advice from anyone using Root Riot Cubes Please

Whitespirit

I have cloned once before straight into potting soil and had no problems with every clone taking. I have just cloned into Root Riot cubes and both clones have failed miserably. The cubes are supposed to be pre-moistened but my tray had a rip in it so they had dried out a bit. I soaked them in a mixture of ph'd water with 5ml Rhizotonic per litre and gently squeezed them out before I diped my clones in clonex and put them in the cubes.....it didn't work and my clones have now fallen over and are really limp.....what did I do wrong folks...please help a newbie out

I doubt it's the cubes that are the problem, so long as their moist enough. Pre moistened cubes doesn't mean much, they might have dried out. The conditions that your cloning in are more important, ie temperature and humidity.

• Like 1
Guest Kipper420

Sometimes, I find that when I bang my cuts into the cubes, the next day they've all fallen over. Either the next day or a few days after they stand back up. Sometimes they do it sometimes they don't.

• Like 1

.. and gently squeezed them out before..

Don't squeeze, just give them a good shake until they stop feeling damp. If you squeeze you will be compacting the cube making it harder for roots to spread. Its not that much of a problem with seeds but with cuttings seems to be harder to root. I have a cutting in veg chamber and it was taking ages to root. I just cut the cube all around the cutting 1 day later roots all over!

Hope it helps :v:

e2a: this is me talking about rock wool cubes -.- just noticed lol

Edited by GimmePonics