Worried, no sign of life?

Just wanted some opinions on the situation, maybe im being a little impatient?

This is my 1st grow in 5 yeas...have had my seeds stashed in an air-tight box in a cool place for that time.

I put 2 different strain [11 chronic seeds & 7 white russians] into water for 24 hours on Tuesdays, Wednesday i noticed that only 1 seed from each strain had cracked...which i though was a bit weird as before i quit growing I noticed that a lot more seeds would crack when I soaked them.

Anyway i put them into root riot cubes which i soaked in luke warm water [my tap ec is 0.2 i added rhizotonic until it came to 0.4ec and formulex until 0.5, ph it down to 5.5] then put the seeds into the cubes [after squeezing excess water out] and then put them into the heated propagator set at 25c [room temp is 20-25c] and left it.

Had a look today and not even one seedling?? Previous times i would get a good % of seedling coming through the following day but that was using jiffy pellet...this is the 1st time im using root riot cubes.......im not sure maybe it because the seeds are old or my techniques is off?

Going to give them until Sunday before deciding what to do, but sign dont look too good?

As i said, 1st grow back in 5 years...a bit anxious/nervous/impatient all rolled into 1...hoping this grow goes well :)

could take many weeks normally , but if you've soaked 'em , seen them crack and root appear, then you may have damaged them when transferring them .
if you're absolutely certain that you didn't damage any, then i'd just leave them alone apart from keeping them moist & wait another 2 weeks at least.

• Like 1

could take many weeks normally , but if you've soaked 'em , seen them crack and root appear, then you may have damaged them when transferring them .

if you're absolutely certain that you didn't damage any, then i'd just leave them alone apart from keeping them moist & wait another 2 weeks at least.

+1

The Masked Sausage.

• Like 1

I'm thinking because there old their a bit slow, past times all my seeds have germed within a few days of putting them into jiffys definetly by a week.

Will see how it goes...maybe get fresh seeds.

If you are using rockwool cubes Ive found that they don't work that well with seeds. They stay to wet and don't dry out like soil would. I had a few seeds rot in cubes.

I soak my seeds over night, then plant them in very small pots(2") with moist soil. Cover them with clear cellophane and put them in a warm place under a light.

This way when they crack and root you don't have to move them into anything right away.

:)

• Like 1

@

I have a hygrometer probe inside the propagator, so i go by that reading and not the dial on the prop itself :v:

The prop is in my shed room [shgroom!] and right not no plant so its nicely dark and warm :)

If you are using rockwool cubes Ive found that they don't work that well with seeds. They stay to wet and don't dry out like soil would. I had a few seeds rot in cubes.

I soak my seeds over night, then plant them in very small pots(2") with moist soil. Cover them with clear cellophane and put them in a warm place under a light.

This way when they crack and root you don't have to move them into anything right away.

:)

Im thinking the same mate, the root riot cubes felt saturated yesterday when i went to check on them, i even squeezed them and took away the excess as i thought they were too wet and would cause the seeds to rot :( Went to check on them again and they feel too wet?! its like they are absorbing the moisture from the lid of the propagator? :fear: Not sure if i should give them another squeeze as im scared i might break and tap roots, if any!

Blood hate trying new methods, jiffy pellets were ace but because im going hydro [aero] i have to use root riots :schmoll:

Not looking good mate, I think the cubes may be too wet, so will try to gently queeze the excess moisture out tomorrow; busy with work today to mess about with growing :(

If none have sprouted by Sunday then will be ordering fresh seeds from attitude on Monday.

I have a separate veg/seedling tent so I bought the aero prop so I could have both amazon & prop on the go. At this rate it looks nothing will be on the go. lol

Edited by Dosti

Not looking good mate, I think the cubes may be too wet, so will try to gently queeze the excess moisture out tomorrow; busy with work today to mess about with growing :(

If none have sprouted by Sunday then will be ordering fresh seeds from attitude on Monday.

I have a separate veg/seedling tent so I bought the aero prop so I could have both amazon & prop on the go. At this rate it looks nothing will be on the go. lol

that's a shame bud. How come you didn't use the paper towel method? worked for me mine sprouted three days after I took them out of the cup

I'm guessing if they haven't sprouted now then they probably wont, better get on the 'tude. Any idea what strain you'll run?

• Like 1

I've never used the wet paper towel method, have always put my seeds in a cup of water and then into the medium I was using. It's always worked well like this, so why change.

The problem this time is the seeds are old (5 years or so in my possession, so who knows how old over all if you count the breeders time) and I'm using a medium I'm not familiar with nor comfortable. I can blindly put seeds in jiffys and I'd expect them to germinate. I've had 100% success numerous times.

Will give them more time, but not hopeful. Will see as they were soaked on Tuesday and put into the cubes on wednesday...so only been a couple of days...im just hoping they don't rot due to the cubes being a bit wet :)

Plan on getting cream47/jack47 seeds from Sweet Seeds or Dinafem Critical+ if these don't pop.

Edited by Dosti

I put in 8 (pre soaked for 24h in water) seeds a week before christmas, 4 fems 4 reg, 7 of em had sprouted by christmas day ( which I thought wasn't too bad) but I kept the 8th pot moist and it sprouted 2 weeks after the rest? judging by the leaves it's a different pheno than the other 3. Just have patience, and if your using soil I personally wouldn't bother using cubes.

• Like 1

@@Mugwuffin

Will probably keep them in the propagator and see if they pop, will germ more if by Sunday not even 1 has popped; that to me is a sing that its not looking good!

As a couple of seeds had cracked and exposed the root during the 24 soak, so i would have thought id get 1 seedling by Sunday.