For SpaceCadet

oldtimer1

SpaceCadet

Group: Members

Posted: May 29 2002,09:49   

Hi Ot1,

Could you please answer these questions for me:

Which growing medium would you suggest from Chase Organics?

Which of the products would you need in order to make up your special soil mix (the one you posted on Hempcity many moons back) and in what quantities?

Thanks

SC

>>>>>>>>>>

Hi SC I opened Organic Finder as a resources thread not for QA so I’ve moved your Q to this new thread. This is a cut and paste of the recipe you mentioned, the Dol lime and calcified seaweed have been adjusted for London water.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is the grow mix you were asking about we have developed it over the last few years. I can’t recommend enough the organic base fertilisers produced by Jetze’s Bio Bizz company.

In this latest mix we have 1. removed the perlite, the dust from this product is now thought to be carcinogenic in the same way as the dust from rockwool and glass fibre products are. 2. We have also removed both sedge and moss peat and replaced it with coir. Coir [co co fibre] is a renewable resource unlike draining and removing peat from sites of special scientific interest.

We use sog with selected sativa dominant mother lines. 5.5 or 6 litre sq pots flowering time 9 to 12 weeks by variety. 48 plants per KW of mixed lighting. The yield is between 48 and 56 ounces 28 to

33 grams per plant area = 5 x 4 ft.

Compost ingredients per 50 litres [When settled in pots]

Every thing is riddled through a 1/4 inch sieve

25 litres of coco

12 litres of sterilised organic Kettering loam

10 litres of Bio Bizz wormest

5 litres of Bio Bizz premix

100 ml of dolomite lime

150 ml of Calcified seaweed

100 ml rock phosphate

Generally grow shops are on big margins, if you get together with other growers in your area it can be a lot cheaper to buy bulk. ie importing coco a pallet load from bio biz it works out at about £4 per 50 litres.  It is important that any coco you use is washed so it is low in sodium. Coco has a symbiotic fungi in it called tricoderma and it helps protect the roots of cannabis from things like root rot fungus [pythium]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There are lots of good products that can be used from the organic catalogue. It depends what you want to do. If you were growing outdoors in the soil, supplements that could help would be Dolomite lime and calcified seaweed help to raise ph in acid soil and add magnesium, Gypsum to open up the tilth of clay soil, Hoof and Horn for Nitrogen, Bonemeal or Rockphosphate for phosphorus and Organic Potash.

All these things can improve soil in a big way, they can also be used in potting composts as base ferts and supplements.

Our compost to be specific you get most of the ingredients from the organic catalogue and 21st garden between them. For sterilised loam you need a horticultural sundries man or wholesaler.

I will try and add organic suppliers as I get their addresses. When I get time I will do write ups on each fert and supplement with its uses and what it contains and does!

I hope this helps answer your questions.

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for the info Ot1 ... sorry about the post in the other area ... will let you know how the growing goes.

Keep well

SC