Stealth Grow...

jontz

Hya...

I'm gonna start the (ever-so predictable) newbie grow soon, so I've just got a couple of questions...

After seeing the size of splan's 400W hps, I've realised that I'm not gonna have room for a light that size inc. ballast...

My plan is -

An old chest of drawers, about 3ft tall X 4ft long X 3ft deep...

Remove all the drawers and tack on a wooden front with a smaller hinged door.

I was thinking about growing with flouro's (was it warm for flowers cool for veg?) and having some way to adjust their position in the box - so I can raise & lower them as needed.

Since i'll be using flouro's, will there be a problem with heat or is that just hps?? I will also stick some fans onto the front panel for air circulation, one in - one out...

It's not my chest of drawers, so any alterations/build must be on the front panel.

One main Q i've got is are the flouro's effective? I want to grow but hps is just too impractical while i'm still at home.

Thinking about 6/10 small (18 inch would be nice) plants..

Any reccomendations on seed, lights and idea's would be very appreciated..

Cheers all...

jontz :satisfied:

well, guessing with those dimensions (bugger imperial is my middle name when i comes to diy), you could use an hps, but not a 400w one. the fastlight hps come in smaller sizes, so maybe a 250watter, and once you deconstruct them they end up quite small, although they are not of the highest quality, they are cheap, so if you find it is too hot or big, then u havent spent too much money (compared to 85quid or more for an hps from a real grow shop). using a glass screen so keep the hps seperate from the plants, and having an extractor fan for this upper section. then have an in and out for the lower plant section. this will keep temps well down as the glass will not conduct the heat into the plant chamber but let the light pass through. you will however need to use tempered glass, which i am still bloody looking for at the moment, im starting to think about giving up and redesigning without glass, but if you can get hold of it, it will let you get some better lighting than with fluros.

if you go with the fluros, then heat problems should not really be much of a problem. they are reasonable, but no real substitute to an hps or mh, yiu want a good mix of both cool and warm white flos, with a greater %cool in veg and more warm in flower.

you will probably want to consider scrog with that height, its gonna get you better yields in that sort of area.

going for scrog, you want a hybrid, as sativas are too tall and not bushy enough, whilst pure indicas are too hard to train. whats youre price range for seeds? as that will make it easier to suggest a strain.

hope this helps.

Not sure mate, since I've nevr bought seeds b4...

bout 20-30 squid?

I'm aiming for the whole box to tot up to £100-£150 ?????

What is that other lighting option? mh?

I definatly want to use SoG or ScrOG to maximise my area (but not got much height)... I also could do with a newbie strain with highish yeild...

Cheers for your advice bud...

Cheers bud.. I saw that link a while back but lost the thread....

Time to take a closer look methinks..

Cheers people, I'll be back with more q's later! :guitar: