Another Lighting Supplier

SpaceCadet

High Oldpink,

Although I respect you, I don't think you're giving a complete picture about Fastlight here:

The prices you quote are excluding VAT at 17.5% and the ballasts are integral.

"All of our products including carriage are subject to VAT at the current UK rate." http://www.fastlight.co.uk/support.htm

A grow-light with remote ballast at Fastlight, inc. VAT and Delivery = £135 ( http://www.fastlight.co.uk/GROLITE.htm )

> Other grow shops sell combinations like this cheaper. Although you get a MH bulb with the Fastlight as well, the bulbs Fastlight sell are cheap generic copies of the brand leaders, such as Phillips, etc.

(Do they put out as much light, and for as long?)

eg. 400w Maxibright Ballast/Maxibright Reflector, Son-T-Plus at £110, inc. VAT, exc. Delivery

http://www.growroomsuk.com/maxibrightmaxibright400w.html

eg. www.headlights.co.uk sell 400watt Silver-Wing lights, with quality bulb and Power Plant ballast for £118, inc. VAT, exc. delivery.

www.growell.co.uk sell the same item for £125, but will price match Headlights.

Guarantees are important too, for example, do Fastlight say this: "All our ballasts come with a 36 month guarantee." (eg. http://www.growroomsuk.com/Orderinginformation.html )

Or better quality reflectors:

"Silver Wing Shades:

Designed by computer to give maximum light output per wattage of lamp. They also have open ends to evenly dissipate heat created by the bulb.

They are made of lightweight hammered aluminium for even spread of light (no hot spots)"

>>> Better than the enclosed Low-Bay type reflectors, IMO.

> I know you're gonna come back to me here and say "Ah, well, look at my picture threads.....I must be doing something right......<interlude of another person> "hey man, you're buds look fat, karma to you, etc..".......back to lights.....there's nothing wrong with Fastlight, etc.......

> Plus, if you get the IP20-type lights (e.g. used underneath bridges, etc), you need to do a DIY conversion on them to make them properly suitable for growing: not everyone has the skills or inclination to do this.

>> I just want people to be aware of all the factors when considering a light.

All the best,

Trichome

mmmm very interesting thread :oldtoker:

the impression i get, although i may be wrong, is that if you want to buy a light that will grow cannabis,for the least amount of money possible, then fastlight is the place to be.

Obviously if you have concerns over original bulb effeciency, quality of construction, future proofability (?), etc etc then yes your absolutely right Trichome...its not quite as clear cut as that.

Im about to buy myself a light, and will be looking at your post thoroughly to help me with my decision.

all the best

:peace:  :peace:

Good point about the VAT TrichomeUK i forgot to add it

but watt for watt there still the cheapest available for your

average grower

the second point about the bulb's is also true that's why

i'm changing my supplied bulb's with Agro's soon

i have also been told they are looking at supplying 600, 1000 and

possibly a 2000w setup

though i'm going to invest in two 600w lamp's to replace

3 of my fastlight lamp's

for the simple reason the 2 x 600w are about 20 - 30% more efficient

than the 3 x 400w i currently use

thank's for the input

OP

:stoned:

• 3 weeks later...

Fastlight with their gneric bulbs are as god as anything else if not better. they are vandal proof so won't catch fire if they7 fall down. They are well designed with a glass enclosure so you can mist without fear. They are ideal for converting to fan cooled. they put out as much if not more light than anything else. try a light meter to compare and all will become clear.

Remember that growshops often operate on a 60% margin!

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a 600w from Bargain Basement lights,

Came quickly and is a good quality product - the ballast is fairly large compared to Growell and heats up the anti-room outside the flowering chamber very effectively - if this isn't going to be a problem and your ballast is well away from the growspace - then they're good lights.

Also they accept Paypal - good for anonimity.

tata!

hp

p.s. I forgot to add - the light and reflector are very lightweight making the raising and lowering process - much easier (only needs 2 chains instead of four)... and remember to peel off the plastic on the inside of the reflector - it's see-through so you don't notice it until it starts to smell like burning candles and drips on your plants...

:rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

check out www.smokeys.nl they sell very cheap lights but you must wire them yourself (pretty basic stuff) they also sell original dutch passion seeds. i got a 600W sylvania grolux and reflector and ballast and 10 feminized white widow seeds for €230 including shipping. the seeds (€106) cost more than the light! €230=stg£150

• 4 weeks later...

Hiya,

Can anyone offer some notes on the lights from Smokeys?

I was thinking of the 400W kit. (http://www.smokeys.nl/BHGshop/)

Bulb/remote ballast/reflector for €104 or about £70 inc. tax/shipping. Seems quite good.

I was wondering about the dimensions of the reflector/ballast quality/delivery service mainly......

TIA, DaLata

i got the 600W and it looks the same as the 400 on the website pictures the reflector is about 400mm square. it came with small hooks and has holes in it. i never used the hooks just got my own wires. the ballast is made in spain and seems good quality but i dont have any other to compare it too. the wiring on the ballast seemed thin but didnt heat up. the ballast itself got very hot. i got it within a week of ordering it. i think the setup can take metal halide lamps too (not certain). you do have to do some wiring yourself. mains to ballast and ballast to light. i was confused at first but then saw a sticker on the ballast which made sense, although it didnt clearly show wires going to the lamp which was on another part of the ballast.

i am very pleased with it