SS Loft Build Diary - Thoughts?

SoloSeeker

Hi 420, not actually seen a build like mine before so I've pretty much been winging it to the best of my ability so far :lookaround:

Thought I'd share where I'm up to now, this grow room needs to be as stealthy as possible, safety is always a big concern because this is my first grow.

This is the area I'm working with.

space

The space needs to stay warm in winter and cool in summer in a loft which suffers all extremes.

I cladded the inner sides of the joists with fireproof plasterboard and the floor and rear wall with celotex. Good stuff I recommend it. I've also tried to make the room as airtight as possible with reflctive Thermawrap sealed with aluminium tape. This should help keep loft air out and use only fresh intake air. The outsides of the plasterboard are covered with 6" thick rockwool so from the outside it looks like some tribal hut. :upside:

Here is where I am now.

post-32939-0-97358700-1404248906_thumb.jpg

Powder fire extinguisher in. The vial ruptures at 68 celcius. Praying for no accidents!

post-32939-0-93837100-1404248931_thumb.jpg

Heavy ass carbon filter hung from 1 of 2 stainless steel bars anchored to the adjoining joists. Been checking this regularly for the past week, seems to be holding it alright.

That belt is actually 1 part of a door sex swing we bought off theBay lol lol lol lol

post-32939-0-11029200-1404249011_thumb.jpg

post-32939-0-17151700-1404249042_thumb.jpg

For the door I was toying with the idea of some kind of curtain but in a loft my size I just thought it would be a bit frumpy so I've gone for a 10mm MDF door cut to size and then the inner area covered with celotex made to squeeze nicely into the gap with a bit of force forming an air tight(ish) seal.

Used the remaining bits of Thermawrap over the Celotex aswel just to give a bit better light reflection.

The pics I got of the door have come out crap so I'll sort this next time I go into the nest.

Here's the 190w tube heater and on the right is the ballast just by the passive intake. Do these get hot? Hoping to use the heat from that because ambient loft temp (My passive intake) could drop to -5)

Extraction fan is a Ruck/Can 150L for which I'll be making a thermostat variac soon.

post-32939-0-11039700-1404249082_thumb.jpg

The ducting comes along to the front of the cab because it breaks me trying to get down the outside but I've gotten away with it there's not much 'whooshing' until the fan hits 100% - variac will be 60/70% max (40% min)

This is an 11l pot. Looking to grow 4 plants, 2 rectangular trays, 2 pots each either side of the tube heater, hopefully keep more heat in the roots. Gonna do a ScroG about 10 inches above the coco level and I'm thinking that doing 4 I might be dealing with a real crowding issue if I don't flip early. Any thoughts? Each plant will have at least 12cm2 growing space on the net.

post-32939-0-05162800-1404249116_thumb.jpg

Plodding along nicely now I think. Need to get the variac done ASAP. Once that's done I'm going to do a lot of testing before I get anything growing in there. Don't want to leave it to chance and have to go changing things around when there's plants growing. I'm hoping with the fan at 40% the heater can keep it around 22-25 lights off period despite freezing outside temps. Don't really want to get an oil filled heater because of space issues but if needs must...

Cheers, SS :yep:

Edited by Abe Froman
to remove offsite images and reupload
  • Like 5

The ballast type your using can get pretty hot .Personally I would put it on a ceramic plate/tile so its not in contact with the thermowrap foil stuff. Looking prima in there otherwise.

Which strain you plan on running ?

• Like 1

The ballast type your using can get pretty hot .Personally I would put it on a ceramic plate/tile so its not in contact with the thermowrap foil stuff. Looking prima in there otherwise.

Which strain you plan on running ?

That's a good idea I'll do that! I've not done too much reading but I like the look of Barney's LSD (fem) for its high THC content and short stocky genes.

Any need for 11l pots, why not use smaller ones to stop the plants getting too big?

Looking great though

RR

I went for the 11l pots because there is so much differing info on pots, my thinking was just to try to maximise space for the roots. I think I'll fill coco to 3 inches from the top just to add a bit extra stem space for the plants and hopefully with a lot of low stress training they'll stay somewhat controlled. Like I mentioned though since it's my first grow I might panic and flip too early because I really don't want cramped conditions.

Few days now til I get the variac bits, once that's sorted I should be G2G. Updates to follow.

Cheers, SS

• Like 1

looks almost identical to what I built in my loft :) (I'd put a second anchor on that cf thou, I learned the hard way with my lights put failsafes in) the insulated room within the loftspace stops most the extreme temps - thou mid summer I shut mine down would need huge fans for summer loft growing. good luck get it filled now :)

ed - if you got room put the ballasts outside your insulated room in the loft space cut the heat in half..

Edited by nl5

looks almost identical to what I built in my loft :) (I'd put a second anchor on that cf thou, I learned the hard way with my lights put failsafes in) the insulated room within the loftspace stops most the extreme temps - thou mid summer I shut mine down would need huge fans for summer loft growing. good luck get it filled now :)

ed - if you got room put the ballasts outside your insulated room in the loft space cut the heat in half..

I agree dude I feel like id like more reassurance on it too but I've got nowhere else to hang it from, unless I use some kind of support underneath it? The light will be hung from the other fixing.

I'm gonna leave the ballast as it is just to take the edge off the cold air coming in. I don't want the heater kicking in when the lights are on. In summer I'll defo have to move it outside the room I think.

SS

post-32939-0-63699200-1404249271_thumb.jpg

Variac built. Might need to upgrade heater as it's only keeping the room at about 18.5 with the fan on a low speed. Could do with 20-22 really.

Edited by Abe Froman

You could try getting yourself some heat mats and a root it stat, google swell reptiles habistat heat mat

They have a selection of sizes, low wattage and placed under your drip tray and silverbacked reflector such as underlay for wood floors or the stuff you put behind a radiator will reflect the heat upwards, try also to intake from inside your house, and in winter possibly vent back in to use the excess heat to warm your home are 2 possible suggestions.

Back to the heat mats they will take your root temps up to 21-22 easily and then should be fine to run the heater at the temps its supply at the moment going by others discussing similar issues on here. As long as the roots are warm then the ambient can be a bit lower.

• 6 months later...