Carbon Filter

wrongun

hi all. Im not started yet but i'm gettin bits together. I've spent the last few days scouting for parts for a carbon filter. Began, takin advice from Payday's thread, :yep: using a bus air filter. I've ended up with four. Three are much too big for my intended GR. The last is still quite big, but i'm gonna keep it for when i move my GR to the loft (after 1st or 2nd grow). So I'm gonna follow Raz's thread ;) . The cracker boxes are seasonal, and its xmas now, so they're in! (co-op £1.89).

Been lookin for the filter material. (black charcoal type). I found 2 thicknesses. Presuming i should use the thickest? or, will it be too much for fan(td160)?

costs a tenner. enough for the two layers needed.

I have also found two sizes of activated carbon.

Wilkos do small pellets at £7.97 kg.

The aquatic centres are doin the larger pellets at £10-£15kg.

Which should i go for?

Sorry if simple Qs. help appreciated.

hi wrongun

what i know about carbon:

it costs me £70/75 per 25 kilo sack.

All carbons are not the same.the one to use is a custom specified Virgin Activated Coal Based Carbon, (CKV4)

the smaller pellets are generally better since it is the end of the pellet that adsorbs the smell.

high humidity wil negate the effect of the carbon by filling it with water rather than smell.

hope this helps

cf

Hiya Wrongun :blub: .....

When we made the filter it was intended for the TD160.

The filter material we found came in 2 types in the one packet, a black charcoal one that is about 1/2 cm thick(i'de have gone thicker if there'd been any). And a stripey thin material(found this good for sealing inlet vents so no nasties can get in :smug: ........

As to the pellets they are about 4/5mm long and about 2mm thick, they look pretty much like lead pencil bits, and they came from our local fish/garden centre.

The filter wiill work fine as long as you seal all the joints properly and the filter is sealed to your grow-box properly, take your time and don't rush it. It'll probably take you a couple of days by the time everything has "set" properly, but getting a really good seal all round is half the battle ;) ...

Hope this little bit of info has helped you and good luck with it dude.

Take it easy :thisbig:

RAZ

Hey Raz, nice one :smug:

The packs of filter material are same as what you're on about. (2 grease filters and 1 charcoal filter). Like i said i've seen 2 thicknesses of the charcoal filter material, so i'll go for the thickest.

As for the pellets, its sounds like yours are the smaller of the two i've seen. they're the cheapest of the two. Dont know if they're the one's cheesefarmer was on about though! :thisbig:

Got a little bit of time b4 i start grow so i'll be sure to seal it properly and will wait for it to dry!

Thanks for reply.

wrongun

• 1 month later...

As a general rule of thumb, the smaller the size of the filter medium, the larger the surface. If you imagine having a stick of charcol in your hand, if you snapped it in half you'd then end up with the same amount of charcol, but you have increased the surface area by adding two new faces to it where it has snapped. :yinyang:

I always go for the smaller ones like everyones saying its about surface area.Id shop about for your carbon as im paying£3.99 a kg lol

Best wishes and Good luck

wreckedagain