OT1 Guide To Bonsai Mums

• 7 years later...

Such a useful thread, can't wait till I have space for some mums. In regards to the root pruning, would using fabric pots negate or reduce the need to do this?

• Like 3

I dinna think fabric pots would negate the need to root trim but it may reduce the frequency its needed 

Never used fabric pots myself maybe someone with more knowledge will come along for that one

• Like 2

Yeah I think your probably right, I think plants need a certain amount of new root growth to stay happy. My understanding is that air pruning allows plants to remain in their containers long term without getting root bound, thats why they use them in tree nurseries etc. When something has such a long life span root binding can cause big problems. But I don't know if they can in them stay indefinitely. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 3

When i started growing, i had a tiny shelf space and having found this article on Overgrow, I used it to grow and keep two bonsai moms for cuttings. It worked well but eventually i had to flower them both off and close down that grow.

Now I'm starting an area again, this article is embedded in my mind. I remember going to town to buy a bread knife to trim the root ball with and hoping no one would ask me what it was for!

• Like 6
On 03/11/2013 at 2:01 PM, McHazy said:

You cut them back to just above the first leaf node of the new growth. So after the cuttings have been taken the mum is only a tiny bit larger than the last time she was cut back but the main branches will be starting to get thicker.

do I take cuttings from the exact same place every time?

so, if im understanding this correct, eventually there will be a thick branch form and a new stem growth at that (just above the) node I cut before, and im just taking the stem off from the same point every time? new grower just trying to get my head around bonsai mothers 

• Like 1

I found that the actual cutting point gradually gets higher up the plant, yes.

I didn't find a way to negate that. If I remember, OT1 describes lignification in the lower branches as an outer bark type growth builds up. I did get that and i noticed this growth didn't 'root'. By that, I mean that of the few cuttings i took of harder branches, the roots always came higher up the stem, from the newer younger growth.

• Like 3
On 11/03/2021 at 6:51 PM, MindSoup said:

You wait till 2 new nodes have appeared and cut just above the first one. 

You mean just below.

I've had success in the middle long stalks too, so it doesn't have to be just under a node. :yep:

• Like 2

This guide popping up again has me wanting to keep a mum. 

Luckily I have a Disco Biscuit clone that has just rooted out a 2 inch pot. 

Here she is and she may just be the perfect shape to take the first step to start forming the cup. 

large.IMGP6814.jpglarge.IMGP6815.jpglarge.IMGP6816.jpgI guess it’s time to sharpen the scissors for a nice clean cut. :execute: 

:yinyang:

• Like 11
On 3/11/2021 at 3:29 PM, Keye said:

I remember going to town to buy a bread knife to trim the root ball with and hoping no one would ask me what it was for!

Just tell them it's for cutting bread.  :hippy:

• Like 8

I just repotted a couple of bonsai mums. I just clawed away at the root ball by hand till it looked the right size. I was really just mimicking a video I'd seen ages ago on regular bonsai tree maintenance. This method teases out some of the roots that will be straight into the fresh soil.

• Like 2