Your Rights to Record the Police - Without Their Say So

DANZIG

Thank you Danzig for that quality piece of info. Would somebody be able to continue filming down at the cop shop (assuming they haven't been arrested or cautioned ?)

Peace.

Nonose.

Thank you Danzig for that quality piece of info. Would somebody be able to continue filming down at the cop shop (assuming they haven't been arrested or cautioned ?)

Peace.

Nonose.

Once you are not longer "in public" then things change, and you need the permission of whoever is responsible for the building.

By the same token, you can refuse permission for a copcam to record you on your property, unless they are arresting you, or executing a search warrant.

• Like 1

That's interesting Jimmy, thank you man. I can understand the bill not being able to film in my home without my permission but it does seem questionable that we as' the public,' cannot film in a public building such as the cop shop, after all, who pays their rent and wages ? I am talking about recording a direct interaction between (for instance, myself,) and the cops at their gaff rather than making a sweeping vid of all and sundry in the welcome lounge. I understand they have a duty to protect the privacy of other visitors but one on one with the bill in an interview room ?

Nonose.

That's interesting Jimmy, thank you man. I can understand the bill not being able to film in my home without my permission but it does seem questionable that we as' the public,' cannot film in a public building such as the cop shop, after all, who pays their rent and wages ? I am talking about recording a direct interaction between (for instance, myself,) and the cops at their gaff rather than making a sweeping vid of all and sundry in the welcome lounge. I understand they have a duty to protect the privacy of other visitors but one on one with the bill in an interview room ?

Nonose.

By that logic, anyone should be able to walk into Buckingham Palace - after all, we pay for it. To be honest I'm not sure what circumstances would warrant a recording of a one to one. If you're under arrest it will be recorded anyway. If you are not under arrest, then you are effectively a witness, and all witness testimony is written and shown to you before it becomes evidence.

The only way to get a definitive answer would be to contact the relevant authority and ask them. Be interesting to see if it's yes or no ...

I once was arrested and my partner tried to film them beating me up in my house. She was marched outside and handcuffed in her knickers and arrested. Freedom in the UK is not freedom, the Police Force is corrupt some way or another.

• Like 4

Great OP, and covers all the bases. I don't do a lot of naughty stuff these days, as I spend most of my time in bed these days, but if I see the police acting out of order, I very overtly get my mobile out, drive right up to them in my wheelchair, and video them. The local police know me well enough these days to leave me alone, but there was one instance where I was threatened with arrest. I witnessed a 15 year old lad being arrested in town, and the burly officer who was twice his size, was lifting the kid off of the ground by the handcuffs, which were cuffed behind the kids back. It was a torture/punishment position. He was in agony, and desperately asking the officer to lower the cuffs...

So I got my phone out and started taking photos. I was immediately apprehended by another officer who demanded that I stop recording... After ignoring him, he threatened me with arrest and confiscation of my phone. Again, I ignored him while I took more photos of his colleague assaulting the child. He then placed his hand on the back of the mobility scooter to try and prevent me leaving (a futile effort with 8MPH class 3 scooters. lol )... I immediately dashed into the shopping centre, gave my phone to a friend, and then scarpered back home.

I immediately phoned up the station, explaining what happened (giving the officers badge numbers), and then by that time, my friend had emailed me the photos which I promptly placed on facebook. I intended to make a formal complaint, but the kid refused to cooperate. I instead made an informal complaint at the station level. I also made the local police authority aware of the photos, so the local station was leant on heavily from above.

It turned out that the kid was a known troublemaker (burglary, heroin abuse/dealing, assaults, muggings etc... which all came to light in the local papers when he turned 18) and that he had many previous incidents with the officer involved. However, I'd do the same again... Watching grown men assault kids half their size always stirs a fire in me. It made no difference what the kid did. He was detained, under arrest and in no danger of escaping.

So yeah, if you see the police acting like dicks, record it. After all, they are meant to be working for you... or at least you pay their salaries...

• Like 10

i tried to record the police when they busted into my house again a few days ago. i promptly had my phone/camera grabbed from my hands an myself held up by my throat an strangled by cid. they then attempted to delete the video etc an afterwards then threatened to use the video as evidence against me. i told them they have no right to take my phone an prevent me filming them. i was basically assaulted by them so theyy could get my phone off me. the cid twat them tries to say i punched him in the ribs. i know full well that never happened both my hands went straight for the phone as i attempted to grab it back an prevent him deleting wot i had filmed.

ive still got the video so they didnt delete it. il also be using it in court assuming it will help me to fight the obstruction charge they gave me.

• Like 2

i tried to record the police when they busted into my house again a few days ago. i promptly had my phone/camera grabbed from my hands an myself held up by my throat an strangled by cid. they then attempted to delete the video etc an afterwards then threatened to use the video as evidence against me. i told them they have no right to take my phone an prevent me filming them. i was basically assaulted by them so theyy could get my phone off me. the cid twat them tries to say i punched him in the ribs. i know full well that never happened both my hands went straight for the phone as i attempted to grab it back an prevent him deleting wot i had filmed.

ive still got the video so they didnt delete it. il also be using it in court assuming it will help me to fight the obstruction charge they gave me.

I'd say mate if this keeps on happening, get some kind of covert CCTV setup in your house. That way, things will be recorded without you having to go through all what you did. I can't see any copper 'agreeing' to be being filmed, not really

From personal experience, I got arrested outside my local when it was full, and some busybody was filming the proceedings,I asked the old bill to get him to stop and they did, and im sure they were not doing me any favors, even when the press turned up they stopped them, perhaps because at that moment in time was not arrested yet,in due course I was and was a write up in local paper without naming me.

I do appreciate the info and will look it up.

From personal experience, I got arrested outside my local when it was full, and some busybody was filming the proceedings,I asked the old bill to get him to stop and they did, and im sure they were not doing me any favors, even when the press turned up they stopped them, perhaps because at that moment in time was not arrested yet,in due course I was and was a write up in local paper without naming me.

I do appreciate the info and will look it up.

they had no right to.

• 1 year later...

This is all well and good in theory, but in the real world the old bill will just take your camera and give you a kicking for being cheeky.

• Like 3