Your Rights to Record the Police - Without Their Say So

DANZIG

You can't record the police in a private place unkess you have permission of the person who owns that space or the police themselves.

You can't record the police in a private place unkess you have permission of the person who owns that space or the police themselves.

You can record anybody anywhere as long as the recording is not intended to make a commercial gain out of the recording.

E2A I know this from legal personal experience. I had a carer unbeknown to me record a conversation and I tried to challenge his right to do so and learnt the law regarding this action. No profit motive and it is legally fine to record anybody anywhere.

Edited by Hir
  • Like 1

You can record anybody anywhere as long as the recording is not intended to make a commercial gain out of the recording.

E2A I know this from legal personal experience. I had a carer unbeknown to me record a conversation and I tried to challenge his right to do so and learnt the law regarding this action. No profit motive and it is legal fine to record anybody anywhere.

Not if you intend it's use in criminal court.

Yes, that's the exact point, the recording I am referring to was submitted to a court. I claimed immunity using an ECHR ruling and was successful but had my carer been represented by a lawyer I know from reading the relevant law that I wouldn't have got away with that.

Edited by Hir
  • Like 1

The laws of evidence don't work like that. When you give evidence, it's *your* testimony the court is hearing. If the opposing team dispute your testimony, you can introduce a recording to support you.

For example, the recent thread on the racist rant. If it goes to court, the witness will be asked what they heard, and they will reply from their memory. If the (presumably) defence barrister says "are you sure ?", then the video we've already seen gets bought into evidence. Remember it's up to the jury to determine what the truth is.

Lots of evidence gets put before a jury which was never intended to be used in court.

Nice to see you Danzig .

I wish I'd known my rights before I had a run in with the law . When I sat into the rear of a cop car the fecker told me to turn off my phone because I asked a difficult question and he didn't want to reply truthfully You see , he asked me an 'out of the blue' question regarding cannabis . He told me to turn off my phone and not to give him any shit . If I had turned it on and filmed him, they might have thought twice about searching me illegally , adding drugs to the charge and generally stitching me up .

E2A I know this from legal personal experience. I had a carer unbeknown to me record a conversation and I tried to challenge his right to do so and learnt the law regarding this action. No profit motive and it is legally fine to record anybody anywhere.

You can use it in civil court and tribunals etc but not a criminal court unless things have chaged in the past few years. It may relate to just hidden devices though, not sure.

You can use it in civil court and tribunals etc but not a criminal court unless things have chaged in the past few years. It may relate to just hidden devices though, not sure.

The *police* can't use covertly obtained recordings in court unless they had a warrant. But you or I can conceal a recording device, and use recordings to support our own testimony.

If the plebgate affair does result in criminal action against the 3 reps who visited Mitchell in his home, then he would be allowed to introduce the (covert) recording he made to support the evidence he gives.

The *police* can't use covertly obtained recordings in court unless they had a warrant. But you or I can conceal a recording device, and use recordings to support our own testimony.

If the plebgate affair does result in criminal action against the 3 reps who visited Mitchell in his home, then he would be allowed to introduce the (covert) recording he made to support the evidence he gives.

Thats because it was in his home, you can legally film a public official in public but as I have saig it's not that clear cut in private places.

Guest DarkStuff

Surely If it were a private place and the video/evidence was being sought for court they'd ask the land owners permission?

Atb

Sw