Potting up

Guest Rebel

Guest Rebel

How often do you pot up with coco on average? My wilma system I'm ordering comes with 18litre pots but that's to big I was told can also have it come with smaller 11litre pots but its best to have the plants rooted in the pot before flowering right so how long will it take vegging to fill an 11litre pot? Only want the wilma to speed the veg time and I guess same me the effort of watering.

Guest stickyfingaz_1989

Hey. I use the wilmas also. Wilma big 4s with the 18l pots but iv also used the 11l pots on the 16 pot system. Iv always started in the pot they will finish in. So from rooted cutting straight into the 18l pots where they stay untill chop. Never had a problem. Dont forget to put some NFT spreader matt at the bottom of the pots to stop coco running into the res..

Hope this helps..

Guest Rebel

Hi mate,

I thought you had to pot up with coco? The thing is just thought the size of the plants by the time they root an 11litre pot they will be to big to be flowered inside a 1.2m tent? Was thinking 9 9litre pots would be a better option.

Ive gone from 0.5 to 6.5 and 0.5 to 10 litres. Just root.out the first pot. There's a thread on here by someone which says its not as important to pot up in coco as soil. Ive been looking for it because its a boss diary to read. If I find it I'll put the link here

Guest Rebel

Thanks the link would be great if you could pal.

I emailed a hydro store and asked if using such large pots would not just create plants to big to be flowered inside a 120 by 120 tent. I mean an 11litre pot could give you 4oz a plant so no need for all 9 of them and by the time the plants rooted an 11 litre it'll be to big for 9 of them anyway. Here's the reply I got. Think I will go with 9 9 litres and it seems they say the final pot doesn't have to be rooted?

the extra space and capacity i assume is for when the plants are at the larger stage, you dont have to wait until the plants are of partic size or root mass before flowering in most circumstances

we sell a lot of wilmas and have not heard ohave heard the same thing mentioned, the large pots i assume just allow the plant and root to get much bigger in flowering as there is greater pace between plants over the smaller or 20 pot that is the same size

but in theory you could use 1 litre pots if you wanted there is a flat service so any pot u choose can fit as long as its not bigger than 18l

Guest stickyfingaz_1989

Hi mate,

I thought you had to pot up with coco? The thing is just thought the size of the plants by the time they root an 11litre pot they will be to big to be flowered inside a 1.2m tent? Was thinking 9 9litre pots would be a better option.

Noo no no.. realistically my rule of thumb is 1 gallon (5L) per foot af growth. So 11l is perfect for flowering a plant at 1 foot to end up around the 2 foot mark give or take strain dependant. Iv never really "potted up" the idea is to keep the growth as natural as possible. Iv always started my plant pretty much in the same pot it will finish in normally 11l or 18l square pots and have had fantastic results in both soil and coco.

In regards to the 11l in a 1.2 tent. I have a wilma 16 pot system that uses 16 11l pots and I had no problem with veg or flower using just those pots from cutting to chopping. Hope this helps matey.

Edited by stickyfingaz_1989

Guest Rebel

I read on this forum that a 6.5l can give 2oz so wondering is that many size pots just an overkill considering I have only got a 600w?

9 plants under a 600w only need 6.5 Ltr pots

Root a litre pot out fully and then go straight to the 6.5's

Owd

Hi, I've been experimenting with potting on and found best results with 3 stages in 1/3/6.5 ltr pots.

Personally I found going from 1 ltr straight into 6.5s took longer to fully root out my pots and at the end of the crop there Definatley wasn't as much roots, the roots were round the outside of the rootball but nowhere near as dense from the centre of rootzone out.

When I've potted up the 3 times it's been consistently better yield wise & roots are dense as fek:)

It also depends on how big your plants are in relation to pot size.

How many times there watered etc.

I've been using drippers and giving each plant roughly 1:5 - 2 ltr's split into 2 feeds p/day so theres a small amount of runoff after each hit when in flower.

6.5s usually yeild around 70-90g for me.

I've not really seen the need for bigger pots than 6.5 ltr.

11 ltr & bigger containers there's no real need to use that amount of coco , just up the amount of irrigations In the cycle to suit the plants needs.

Peace.

• Like 1

Guest Rebel

I'm gonna be using the wilma so it'll be watering for me I guess compare to the task now of going in and lifting pots, wouldn't be as bad but they drink at different rates so I'm doing it every day. I was gonna use the 6.5litres though I'm tempted to go 9. Thing is then the plants are bigger and I wanna give them enough room plus if i can get 2oz from a 6.5litre isn't no point going bigger. Mates using 11litres same set up and same strain so will be good to compare.

Your friend and your grow may be different even using same method and strain, the environment you provide for your plants is what it's all down to ;)

I usually flower plants at around 18 -24 inches tall in 6.5s and as mentioned they need 2 Ltrs each p/day,but I run to waste and don't recirculate like a wilma set up does.

Peace & Happy growing.

Guest Rebel

Just gonna have a little friendly competition with him and see who gets better. I know the pot size doesn't instantly mean you'll get a big yield, I'm just thinking 6.5l will be fine because I only hope to hit around 15oz and between 9 that's just over a oz and a half. Can certainly hit that with 6.5litres from what I've read.

• 7 years later...

Potting up in Coco coir is pretty simple. Don't worry about going to big. I always allow the roots to establish and true leaves to form and a few of nodes and then potted up to the final pot. I've gone from 0.5 litre pots up to there final 15 and 20 litre pots. I use pots so big as I can only fertigate once daily. I've done 3 grows back to back and the result is a health, vibrant plant with a good solid yield. Last plant was a over 10 Oz and I was only using a 400w HPS light. However if you are planning to fertigate more often then a smaller 10-15 litre could be used, but only if you are using pumps and are planning on fertigating about 3-5 times a day. 

Edited by Smokin goat