Wiring Pc Fans

LGV

Hi guys, ;)

Having scoured the archives ive found the advice fon how to wire fans. Its all a bit disjointed so wanted to confirm that what I planning on doing was ok.

Background

I have two 12v fans and planning to hook that up to my old phone charger. They will be going on the end of my intakes and will be sucking air along about 9 metres of ducting. (have td160 for extraction).

Its a loft grow with ducting travelling to edge of loft where theres a gap between roof and top of the wall.

So two questions really:

1. Should this provide enough pull to drag nice fresh air in?

2. Is the wiring ok?!

Any help would be much appreciated. I plan to give back with my grow diary starting very soon. Once I have these intake problems sorted!

Thanks! ;)

Hi guys, ;)

Having scoured the archives ive found the advice on how to wire fans. Its all a bit disjointed so wanted to confirm that what I planning on doing was ok.

Background

I have two 12v fans and planning to hook that up to my old phone charger. They will be going on the end of my intakes and will be sucking air along about 9 metres of ducting. (have td160 for extraction).

Its a loft grow with ducting travelling to edge of loft where theres a gap between roof and top of the wall.

So three questions really:

1. Should this provide enough pull to drag nice fresh air in?

2. Is the wiring ok?!

3. Whats the best method joining wires together? twisting and electrical tape or proper connectors

Any help would be much appreciated. I plan to give back with my grow diary starting very soon. Once I have these intake problems sorted!

Thanks! ;)

post-4210-1101219409.jpg

Edited by londongrowvirgin

PC fans are not the best under loading, they are fine for giving a little bit of air movement around a room but they are designed to work in spaces where there is little resistance (ie. a computer case has lots of holes)..

If you trying to pull air through ducting then I can`t see them working too well - normally inlets are passive due to the negative pressure of the TD fan.

Can`t comment on the wiring as I never wired them ;)

you got the wiring right! :headpain:

- but to haul air through that length of pipe, you'll need at least the next fan up, a TD250! - if you go to the tlc-direct site, have a look at the fans spec sheets - it'll give you an idea of just how much power is absorbed by ducting!......sorry mate, computer fans are just a damp fart, when what you need is a 'owling gale! ;)