JH's Modded Basic Variac Controller

Joint hogger

@@Joint hogger I have a fused socket instead of a trailing type plus a fuse in the power lead for both variac and fan. All 1amp. Are the inline fuses necessary?

Edit.. Forgot There aint going to be a plug on the fan using a fused socket . So 2 fused should be enogh if not ill put inline fuses in.

Edited by Key4

• 1 year later...
24 minutes ago, Joint hogger said:

maplins stopped selling them but you could always try a 1A instead.

Thanks also isnt maplin closing down?

theyre in deep shit but look else where in the UK for a 1A variac, but depending on what size of fan your intending to run, you might be better considering getting a 2A variac instead.

I just got a 3.5A stepped transformer (not sure if it is a variac although it was sold as one) which can switch between 240v, 200v, 180v, 140v, 110v, and 80v, although the 80V output was not wired up (£95 delivered next day from Amazon). I will be wiring the relevant outputs to some relays which can then in turn be controlled by something paying attention to the temperature.

There was a 1.5A one for about £70. They had larger ones too. Up to a 10A one which cost £140

There were some other products not rated anywhere near as high as some others that used the same image but the internals showed them to be the cheap type, no coil. This is the link for the one I got which seems to work fine. No hum, solidly made, easy to `adapt` and for not much more than the price of a coil.

3.5A 240V amazon variac £95

2 minutes ago, ursus1000 said:

google wattbits

Just did, found a link to an amazon seller account (which has no ratings within the last 90 days and only one in the last year) but could not find products, the website www.wattbits.com says "This page has been reserved for future use"

Could not find anything current (ba-dum-tish).

Got a link to somewhere I can look at products?

Not sure then mate. I used to live not far from them. I hav'nt checked their website since last year,maybe they gone out of business. They did use to sell on ebay.

2 minutes ago, ursus1000 said:

Not sure then mate. I used to live not far from them. I hav'nt checked their website since last year,maybe they gone out of business. They did use to sell on ebay.

I think they might not be trading any more, I remember someone else saying wattbits had gone out of business.

Shame, they sounded good.

7 hours ago, MicroDoser said:

I think they might not be trading any more, I remember someone else saying wattbits had gone out of business.

Shame, they sounded good.

aw shit, didn't know that & thats things fucked for buying cheap variacs, RS are as dear as f##k.

e2a - found another supplier but the smallest variac they do at the minute is the 2A open variac, £51 on the bay & £54 direct.

RS online do sell a 1A variac but theyre asking for £76.61.

Edited by Joint hogger

• 4 months later...

Great thread mate, never seen it before but I have been searching about wiring a step controller and your suggestion about adding a socket or strip of them instead of direct wiring was brilliant :yep: even if it was obvious to everyone but me lol:)

I am using my old 5 step manual controller to control floor/desk fans as I can`t for the life of me find another fan like the one I have in my tent atm, soo quite, so when that one packs up I`ll use the controller and another fan I just tried and it will be nice and quiet, will this be ok?

I hope this is the right thread as searching this topic is a nightmare.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

@Joint hoggerWould you mind sanity checking this when you have a minute?

I have a G.A.S DiffuseAir, which uses a  RVK 100E2 sileo. My tent is only 1.2x1.2M and when the DiffuseAir is running it is easily the loudest thing in there. I don't think it needs to be on full power so I would love to connect your variac mod.

The input current for the fan is  0.171 A and the input power is  29 W.

I think this means that I can use a 1A variac, although I don't mind going bigger if it means it will not get so hot? I had a quick google to see what was out there but I am not too sure what I need and it looks like the prices have increased quite a bit :(

Here is a list of the other bits I think I will need according to your guide:

variac

270w analogue volt meter

3 core cable

Plug

Trailing Socket

Cable Glands

6.3mm Female Lucas Crimps pack of

16A Toggle on/off switch

Plastic Enclosure

In-line fuses

I might leave out the volt meter as I can just about wire a plug and it might be too much for me :)

Thanks!