Green Algae On Soil

Rastafarout

High there,

i was wondering how i can stop algae growing on my soil,and also i have these tiny,fast moving white insects on my soil that when i water them they scurry to the sides of the pot and try to get away from the water,are these the young of fruit flys cause i had some fruit flys last crop but not loads,im using new soil and never use the old stuff...i have in the past used the old soil to plant up normal house plants,could this be a reason?.as far as i can tell they dont go up the plant..well ive never seen them up there anyway.(i just checked,they are definately not on the plant).ive tried taking a picture of the little insects but it was pointless they didnt show up.i also checked out the pest control forum but i couldnt find anyting that was definately the same as my problem.

thanks for any help,

gawd bless you uk420 and all who sail in you.

High there,

i was wondering how i can stop algae growing on my soil,and also i have these tiny,fast moving white insects on my soil that when i water them they scurry to the sides of the pot and try to get away from the water,are these the young of fruit flys cause i had some fruit flys last crop but not loads,im using new soil and never use the old stuff...i have in the past used the old soil to plant up normal house plants,could this be a reason?.as far as i can tell they dont go up the plant..well ive never seen them up there anyway.(i just checked,they are definately not on the plant).ive tried taking a picture of the little insects but it was pointless they didnt show up.i also checked out the pest control forum but i couldnt find anyting that was definately the same as my problem.

thanks for any help,

gawd bless you uk420 and all who sail in you.

262946[/snapback]

You shouldn't really get algae on top of compost unless you're keeping it permanently wet. If that's what you do you should try leaving the compost until it gets quite dry before watering again. A wet-dry cycle keeps the roots healthier too ;)

Sorry, can't help on the insects.

You shouldn't really get algae on top of compost unless you're keeping it permanently wet. If that's what you do you should try leaving the compost until it gets quite dry before watering again. A wet-dry cycle keeps the roots healthier too :smoke:

Sorry, can't help on the insects.

263218[/snapback]

thanks hairy man,i do keep them wetish...that must be it.

:yinyang: it sounded so bloody obvious when i read your reply....thanks mate

:smoke:

you can also stop the light geetin to it cos its the light that speeds algae growth up. :thumsup:

263363[/snapback]

nice one owderb,

thanks for the info,i really apprciate all the help.

take it easys

^_^

Guest campervanman

this may seem a bit mad but my mate put white fly paper

(you know the yellow sheets) turned over the soil then cut the sheet into 1inch squares and.......got lots of little critters

i agree with owderb, you cud start watering from the bottom n DONT top feed but let them dry out for abit

campervanman

yea,good idea about the watering from the bottom...i too heard about using fly paper on the soil...if it continues i will try it fer sure..nice one campervanman,thanks mate.

the CD idea sounds good too,infact i do have a load of useless CD's that my crappy pc has failed to burn.

my insects are disappearing,ive used some cheap superstores pest killer (nothing organic sadly)

and they seem to be going....or getting better at hiding. :unsure:

thanks for all the help,this site stops me panicking.

lovin your work Uk420!

take it easys stoners

Guest campervanman

:guitar: i have a question abt your "pest killer" what is it that you have got?

there are some pesticides you can use from BIOBIZZ that are ok and if you look on some foruns you willget most of the answers you need to grow :toot:

im not to shure what you can use from a "superstore"!!

im shure there are some for ie. tomatoes n veg that will be ok for EATING

im not to shure abt. SMOKING :puke:

all the best in ya grow

campervanman ;)

bio-bizz pesticides,that sounds good,i didnt know they did pesticides...outrageous!

the pest stuff i have gotten hold of is called 'bug gun' ..:unsure:...not too promising a name,i know.

never fear campervanman my plants are only 10" 'ish tall and are still very much in vegetive,i havent needed to spray the actual plant.ive just been giving the top of the soil a very light spray every other day,seems to be working well so far,insects are disappearing.

thanks for your interest campervanman,

:unsure:

Another good way to cover the soil is to leave about an inch below the top of the pot free of compost & sprinkle small stones or gravel on.

thanks for the info boojum,

ive got a loada clay pebbles somewhere.

leave about an inch below the top of the pot free of compost & sprinkle small stones or gravel on.

nice one...

you sound like a real artist boojum,

:yinyang:

laters

Hi Rasta, the problem with green algae is it’s hard to get rid of it, I don’t grow with soil, im hydro but I still get it on the clay balls and rock wool, it will not harm your plants or your roots if you keep it in check, you will find that as your plants grow and bush out the algae will disappear, the leaves will shade the soil stopping light, green algae needs light to grow although this will not get rid of it for good, if you are not happy with what I have said then on your next grow, get a sterile soil and bleach all your pots and kit over night with a 50/50 mix bleach and water.

The little white things may be gnats, not to shore with out moor info, go to your hydro shop and get your self some neem oil or soke some tobacco in hot water over night, nicotine will kill most if not all plant insects. Hope this helps

thanks daygo,the alge has gone down a helluva lot since i stoppped leaving them so wet.

the white insect things,i tried nicotene spray...didnt work for me..maybe i didnt use enough tobacco,i dont know.

i have no local grow shop, :yinyang: its a bit of a problem but no worries..now that ive actually noticed the little insects im doing something about it.

thanks for the advice man

;)

thanks daygo,the alge has gone down a helluva lot since i stoppped leaving them so wet.

the white insect things,i tried nicotene spray...didnt work for me..maybe i didnt use enough tobacco,i dont know.

i have no local grow shop, ;) its a bit of a problem but no worries..now that ive actually noticed the little insects im doing something about it.

thanks for the advice man

:)

267058[/snapback]

;) thanks m8ty.