Advice on organics please

ICaneBud

you should try fertile fibre its great stuff, fully organic and best of all most of it is free post

there organic fish mix is fecking great free post ...........

................... :headpain:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arnold Layne

• Artificial Emotion

• TrichomeUK

• ICaneBud

you should try fertile fibre its great stuff, fully organic and best of all most of it is free post

................... :headpain:

I was going to try it but Felix (I think it was him?) said that the quality has gone downhill recently. Have you tried it recently?

Blimey - what an oldie!

I've yet to find a really good commercial organic compost.

So I've stuck with JAB&JI, with "Oldtimer range" organic nutes from Plant Magic.

I simply cannot find the bloody stuff arnie!

Ive looked in 14 diff garden centers every one of them had the JAB multi not one had Multi with added JI.

Really do want to give this compost a run tho, if i ever fecking find it!

Bom!

Blimey Bom, round here everyone sells it, from Garden Centre to Garage, Morrisons too :woot: Hell, I think I even saw it in Wilcimimows, and Yorkshire Trading 'n'all ;)

................... :bangin:

I was going to try it but Felix (I think it was him?) said that the quality has gone downhill recently. Have you tried it recently?

yes dude I use there compost and coir no probs and they really do have a good environmental policy

I noticed they sell composted bark - the same stuff as in the ever successful Root Riot cubes.

I might do myzself a massive side by side grow (using tomato plants of course) to test these less common media.

Not me :wink: quality is the same as ever :B):

Not me ;) quality is the same as ever :puke:

I do apologise mate :puke:

Is this what you're using currently? Would you recommend it?

I noticed they sell composted bark - the same stuff as in the ever successful Root Riot cubes.

I might do myzself a massive side by side grow (using tomato plants of course) to test these less common media.

composted tree bark is a very good medium to plant in as long as it fully composted, add a good quality worm casts and some coir.

if you want to add rock dust you can as long as the vegetative stage is over 3 months as the rock dust really needs 3 months in the planting medium to start to have benefits from it or mix it all up and leave to mature, if you shred up a news paper and mix it in the mix

and when the paper is gone its ready to use..........in 2 to 4 months

a black bin is perfect for it to mature in

................... :ouch:

Edited by ripthedrift

composted tree bark is a very good medium to plant in as long as it fully composted, add a good quality worm casts and some coir.

if you want to add rock dust you can as long as the vegetative stage is over 3 months as the rock dust really needs 3 months in the planting medium to start to have benefits from it or mix it all up and leave to mature, if you shred up a news paper and mix it in the mix

and when the paper is gone its ready to use..........in 2 to 4 months

a black bin is perfect for it to mature in

................... :rofl:

This is one thing I've been wondering about. Would a plastic bin bag actually let the medium breathe? Isn't there a type of sack you can buy that will let the air get in? I've got a few brown jute sacks that I recently bought from the garden centre but I worry that the holes are too big and would let the medium fall through.

I was thinking of using a medium containing (Moorland Gold) peat, coir and composted bark and maybe worm shit.

Edited by Artificial Emotion

a bin works best if you have. the more times you move it from bin to bin the better the microbes will like it

Not 100% organic but my current setup is as follows...

Growing Medium:

Plant Magic's Soil Supreme

Canna Coco Plus

Plagron Worm Casts

Pinetum Rockdust

Inoculated with Plant Magic's Granules

Nutrients:

Plant Magic Oldtimer Grow & Bloom

Biobizz Fishmix

Guanokalong Liquid Bat Guano

Additives:

Plant Magic Catalyst, Root Stim, Boost, Bio-Silicon, Bio-Wetter & Essance

Other:

Neem Cake

Neem Oil

Not 100% organic but my current setup is as follows...

Growing Medium:

Plant Magic's Soil Supreme

Canna Coco Plus

Plagron Worm Casts

Pinetum Rockdust

Inoculated with Plant Magic's Granules

Nutrients:

Plant Magic Oldtimer Grow & Bloom

Biobizz Fishmix

Guanokalong Liquid Bat Guano

Additives:

Plant Magic Catalyst, Root Stim, Boost, Bio-Silicon, Bio-Wetter & Essance

Other:

Neem Cake

Neem Oil

I'm not so sure you should be adding stuff like worm castings and coco to PM Soil Supreme. Someone mentioned they were going to do this and OT1 said in no uncertain terms that PM Soil Supreme is designed to work as is i.e. any changes and you are altering the designed properties of the medium. It is designed by people with good knowledge of the horticultural science and changing it might be playing with fire.

I might be wrong and I wanted to do something vaguely similar before I read OT1s advice. If I am wrong it would be great if someone could say as I wouldn't mind doing something like this if it's at al possible.

Edited by Artificial Emotion

I'm not so sure you should be adding stuff like worm castings and coco to PM Soil Supreme. Someone mentioned they were going to do this and OT1 said in no uncertain terms that PM Soil Supreme is designed to work as is i.e. any changes and you are altering the designed properties of the medium. It is designed by people with good knowledge of the horticultural science and changing it might be playing with fire.

I might be wrong and I wanted to do something vaguely similar before I read OT1s advice. If I am wrong it would be great if someone could say as I wouldn't mind doing something like this if it's at al possible.

Don't get me wrong mate, I'm certainly no expert! I was just letting others just my current setup, it worked fine for me on my last grow so thought might as well share.

The only thing I've not tried out of that was the Worm Casts but my thinking was that the PM's compost has very little nutrients in so adding a little worm casts would just save adding liquid nutrients for a few days and I read that it doesn't burn plants at all. I also thought it would liven the soil up a bit and work as a kind of soil conditioner, adding benifical bacteria and trace elements etc.

That last grow was 50% PM's Soil Supreme and 50% Canna Coco Plus, it worked completely fine for me, was an excellent medium, great drainage properties, very light and airy mix that was spongey to the touch. It was watering 5ltr pots 1ltr every 2 days, so wasn't to dry if you know what I mean.

I'm sure that PM's compost is great on its own though but I've had problems in the past with poor composts compacting on me and restricting root growth so I thought I'd air on the side of caution this time and try adding the inert coco to make a more airy light mix but still having the compost there for the microherd to thrive in. I just mixed the two 50/50 and it looked and felt nice to the touch so decided to give it a go and it served me well.

This time I've deciding to go for slightly less Coco and add the worm casts to the mix instead. So this time I'm going to start with 50% PM's Soil, 40% Canna Coco and 10% Plagron Worm Casts with a dash of Rock Dust and then as the plants establish them selves I'll most likely reduce the coco and increase the compost ratio.

OT1 is the guy in the know so to be on the safe side your best off following his advice... maybe though he was just saying that there's no need to add anything to it as it's a great stand alone medium and adding anything to that could compromise it. It was an experiment at the time and seemed great for me but maybe I'm wrong though and they wern't as good as they could have been.

Best of luck finding something that suites your needs mate.