Is 2amp variac over kill

HELL YEA

Got all my parts so will wack it together today..

Just a quicky.On the dial it goes 0-270.Now its wired up to a 240v.So is it 0-240(240 mark being my 100% full fan power,(an not go past the 240v mark)or is my 270 mark my full fan power)

Just thort id check it out before plug in

Ta

Edited by HELL YEA

you work out the percentage by going up in 27 increments per 10%, ie - 0, 27, 54, 81, 108, 135, 162, 189, 216, 243 & 270, like this -

gallery_36349_2174_113693.jpg

:skin_up:

• 2 weeks later...

Cheeky bump to this thread as I have just got my ravi 2A in the post this morning and was going to ask for a bit of help wiring it when the time comes, might aswell ask here if thats cool? (it's same one as in JH's picture btw).

and also do you know anywhere to get a good enclosure for it thats not really expensive? (ie found a 150mmx150mmx120mm one, be perfect if it wasnt £60! :russian: )

cheers.

:smokin:

Edited by iBMe

and also do you know anywhere to get a good enclosure for it thats not really expensive?

(ie found a 150mmx150mmx120mm one, be perfect if it wasnt £60! :russian: )

that size of enclosure is too small for a 2A ravi !

the size of the enclosure is normally measured from the outside but you need to remember that most ABS enclosures walls

are usually 5mm thick so you actually have a box with an internal measurement of 140mm x 140mm x 115m-110mm :wink:

if you have a look around hXXp://uk.rs-online.com, you'll find something bigger & a hell of a lot cheaper than £60, theyre takin the piss.

i'd go with these if its just a basic controller your putting together ?

IP67 enclosure w/clear lid,190x190x130mm - RS Stock No. 506-053 - £28

IP67 enclosure w/grey lid,190x190x130mm - RS Stock No. 581-341 - £28

IP66 box with grey lid,182x180x165mm - RS Stock No. 832-497 - £25

& heres a size chart for ravi variacs.

gallery_36349_2174_26135.jpg

• Like 1

Ah right cheers JH, had seen the diagram and taken measurement myself but did think they meant inside measurement of enclosure, close one.

Yeah its just a simple one for one extractor, with no fancy stuff hehe.

Not much good at reading these wiring diagrams but from what I can figure.. Live from fan goes on E, Live from mains goes on C, Neutrals go on A and I suppose the earths go to D?

Il post a picture in a bit too with my interpretation of the wiring diagram to see if you think its right or not.

cheers

Edit: med_gallery_70960_6294_57279.jpg

:smokin:

Secondry EDIT just found this box on fleabay.. h t t p://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IP68-Waterproof-Enclosure-200x200x130mm-LxWxD-W-proof-box-range-IP66-IP67-IP68-/151025143900?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item2329ccd05c Looks alright to me, it good enough?

Edited by iBMe

your nearly right, the wiring goes like this.

mains in - C

combined neutral in & out - A

live out to fan - E

the earth doesnt connect to the top plate, it connects to a stud on the bracket at the back of the variac.

gallery_36349_2174_149869.jpg

also had a look at that box, that'll do nicely :yep:

• Like 1

Ok got u I think, so the earth goes on that little philips head screw?..

Out of interest does that mean the D is left empty? whats that for?

Ace il get that box on order then, you're a star you ;):notworthy:

Yep, the earth connects to the small screw, also the letter D is for 270v output, no use to us :wink:

You will also need to add an inline fuse holder to the live out cable with a quick blow fuse.

Yep, the earth connects to the small screw, also the letter D is for 270v output, no use to us :wink:

You will also need to add an inline fuse holder to the live out cable with a quick blow fuse.

ignore the bit where i mention that the 270v is no use to us, you could use it but you'd have to watch you dont fry anything if the variacs set above 240v.

also forgot to mention that when wiring the fan up, your best using 3.2mm insulated crimp rings, theyre a doddle to use & if you dont have a crimp tool,

you can use needle point pliers.

• Like 1

OK mate cool, didnt realise I would need a fuse il get one ordered, is it a 2A fuse I should use or one closer to what my extractor uses? (0.26A apparently.. seems too low but going by the sticker)

Hehe if set on 240 I can turn it to max without worrying about burning out my extractor il use that :) was just curious about the other pin, good too know though.

yeah got a few of them crimps today, and a couple of plug things for the box, want to be nice and safe.

it was Scraglor who first mentioned adding a inline fuse holder, i cant remember the exact details why just now but i'll have a look for it tomorrow :smokin:

if your near a maplins, you can get a in line 20mm fuse holder for £2 (Order Code: RC71N )

& you can get (in packs of 10) either 1A, 1.25A, 1.6A, 2A 20mm quick blow glass fuses for £2.09 a pack.

its also a good idea to put a 3A ceramic fuse in your mains in plug to the variac & in the fans plug if they arent 3A fuses already.

• Like 2

i cant remember the exact details why just now but i'll have a look for it tomorrow :smokin:

Its because its a transformer and with us using it as a step down transformer the output current is higher than the input current so the input fuse might not see an overcurrent which could burn out the variac

Both the input and the output should be fused

:yinyang:

E2A

The inoput fuse is easy its in the supply plug top

If you can wire a single socket as the output then you can keep the plug top on your fan and plug the fan into your controller just use the fuse in the fans plug to act as the output fuse

If that makes sense?

Edited by Davey Jones
  • Like 4

thanks for clearing that up DG :yep:

what size of fuse would you recommend for the fan then Davey ?

• Like 1