Confirmation - The Catholic Church

Comrade Stoker

Actually killed themselves or effectively killed themselves?

I never known anyone who has killed them self (fortunately!) and I have known a lot of Catholics!

Also, it is not 'brainwashing' to simply accept that which is the truth.

:yinyang:

Brainwashed. It's a cult and a business and that is all.

'Actually killed themselves or effectively killed themselves'

Same thing!

!

!

idjut

Prey on the weak-minded, exploit their fears, take their money. Build gold leafed churches and cathedrals where children go hungry and people die of preventable disease. Discourage contraception where AIDS is rife, food scare and population already high. Father son holyghost gibberish sold to the uneducated. Scum of the earth.

Hi ishamel,

Better to keep things light hearted, in keeping with the general forum, im no fan of impenetrable theological debate! (who is?!)

Plus, I contend that the description I gave of the infighting / lack of unity Church of England does give the impression of a joke. Agree on women Bishops, then vote against it? Cant they decide? Its not a hard question, surely. To outsiders eyes, how do you think this looks? What impression must all the infighting and disagreement give of Christianity to the many secular people in the UK? Might not they reasonably conclude it that was a joke, given their example?

Cheers

:yinyang:

There's 'lighthearted' and there's dismissive, patronising, hidebound zealotry. You attack another church as though it were an opposing football team, but if your church is worthy of respect as a vehicle of human faith then so are others. Naturally the C of E looks absurd sometimes, it's a religion, they believe that some kind of a supreme being worth worshipping presides over the beauty and cruelty of the world.

What you're laughing at specifically is a church struggling to be inclusive and broad. It might seem daft but it's better than the doctrinaire certainty that dismisses any diversion from its narrow set of rules as damnable heresy.

Edited by Ishmael
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Catholicism is brainwashing, simple as that. I've never seen fully recovered catholic but I've known a few that effectively killed themselves with a head full that medieval guilt and mumbo-jumbo.

I Can completely relate, the phrase recovering catholic is the perfect articulation for what i'm going through.I was raised catholic and almost bullied into it by to my dad,the same person who let me watch Child's Play when I was 7, and then subsequently mocked me for for been scared to sleep on my own, even saying Chucky's going to come for you.The fact that every religious role model bar a few has been among the most unchristian people i've ever met, an RE teacher at school is among the nastiest pieces of work i've encountered in my life.

So here I am in a stage where recovery is the best term i'd use, trying to escape the constant guilt i've felt since I was 13 and the feeling of being watched.I wasn't the nicest person up until I was 13 but I was strong and knew who I was.Since I let the God fearing side of me take over i've been a shell of the person I used to be, now i've realised I miss the old me.So here I am, in "recovery".

Guest bazzad9

Good luck wooderson

Im always up for discussing religion so if you ever want to hear a non biblical side of the arguments give me a shout

Offers open to all of course :hippy: