PULLING MY HAIR OUT , How to wire these pc fans to mains?

fcukit88

That's how I would do it, just strip a bit of insulation from both black wires on the fan and twist them together, then cover with insulating tape. You only need to do it to one fan or one 'Y' cable.

Normally, inside a PSU all the black wires are connected, the maker of that particular PSU has tried to save a bit of money (10p?) by only having one 0V socket!

mate cheers for the help your given me now just so I am 100 % clear what wire goes were in the picture bellow ?

gallery_60441_4140_33682.jpg

is it c into b ? or a into c?

sorry mate this might be a ridiculous question to you just not got my head fully round the thing , hey this might be a idiots guide to it one day ha ha

. .fcukit88 ..

a+b+c = all three black wires can be linked together. . .

.. . if your fan is twelve volt then you can link it to either the red wire(5volt)for slower speed .. . or the yellow wire(12volt) for full speed.. .

. . . .'but' . .

unless you have an older type power supply, then you'll need to fool the power supply into thinking it's connected to a motherboard & 'on' switch, this can be done at the main connector from your powersupply, unfortunately i don't have the relevent connection diagram to hand. . if i find out the right connections to make i'll post the information you'll need here.

~loba~

.. . e2a:> a+b+c = all three black wires can be linked together. . .& the red wire from the fan to either the red or yellow one on the connector . .>

.. . if your fan is twelve volt then you can link it to either the red wire(5volt)for slower speed .. . or the yellow wire(12volt) for full speed.. .

Edited by Flobalobalobalot

. .fcukit88 ..

a+b+c = all three black wires can be linked together. . .

. . . .'but' . .

unless you have an older type power supply, then you'll need to fool the power supply into thinking it's connected to a motherboard & 'on' switch, this can be done at the main connector from your powersupply, unfortunately i don't have the relevent connection diagram to hand. . if i find out the right connections to make i'll post the information you'll need here.

~loba~

.. . e2a:> a+b+c = all three black wires can be linked together. . .& the red wire from the fan to either the red or yellow one on the connector . .>

Thanks for the reply mate , so can I just cut the wire on "C" and then expose the wire of "B" and the wrap "C" around "B" and then wrap with insulating tape?.

So I dont need to destroy the white plastic pin connector and this can plug into my hdd adapter?

TBH it's best to get a multi dc pwer supply, they're cheap and I've had a couple for a while now with no failures!

That way you can easily change the speed too.

Otherwise yes If you cut C and join it to B, be careful not to cut through B though as you need it in order to plug the rest of the fans into!

You only have to do this for the first fan ie. the one that's plugged into the power adapter, the others should then just plug straight into each other no problems

• 1 month later...

Why not just wire them to a phone charger? - so simple and easy

Edit: I have just read previous posts, congrats

Edited by Ninja1ne

• 5 years later...

I know this thread is ancient but I need some advice on the best pc fans and ac dc multi adaptors, there are so many different types 'tis a veritable minefield trying to decide.

I've had to remove my osc fan to fit the new leds from dialaduck so intend installing a couple of pc fans, looking for reliability and low noise.

Cheers

:oldtoker:

• Like 1

12v DC 1 Amp Plug In Power Supply c/w 1M lead£6.96TLC Electrical

Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM high-performance quiet 120mm fan, ideal for PC cases, CPU heatsinks and water cooling radiators, award-winning premium model in affordable grey redux edition, grey

Just cut the adaptor of the power supply and connect the positive cores together and the negatives together.

Ive put a few in my cupboard to blow across my tube heaters.

Edited by icki

39 minutes ago, stu914 said:

I know this thread is ancient but I need some advice on the best pc fans and ac dc multi adaptors, there are so many different types 'tis a veritable minefield trying to decide.

I've had to remove my osc fan to fit the new leds from dialaduck so intend installing a couple of pc fans, looking for reliability and low noise.

Cheers

:oldtoker:

i run 4 in my cab 2 for the leds one for exhaust and one air movement

i found it best to buy 2 wire 120mm fans cheap work they all work on low enough volts 4 wire fans bit pain working out wires.

and i use 1 dc adapter running all fans at 3v lol absolutly silent running ive no choice neighbours

the multi dc power supply you cut the wire connector of the end

and just daisy chain the fans with speaker wire

buy some wire connectors or masking tape an good to go upto 12v low noise

best thing i done could never get away with noisey fans

good look

• Like 2