Converting Brita Filters For Growroom Use

billie

Hey everyone,

I'm kinda new to these forums, and I haven't grown before, so even though I will most certainly make heaps of newbie mistakes, please try and bear with me! ;)

I was wondering whether it would be possible to convert a Brita filter into a growroom carbon filter. For those who don't know, a Brita filter is a 1.5" wide, 3" tall white plastic container that fits into a hole in Brita's range of water filters. You pour tap water into the top half, and it drips ('percolates') through the filter and out into a bottom container. It removes chlorine and other nasty chemicals that are found in tap water.

The filter itself is quite simple - it's just filled with activated carbon. Would it be possible to connect up some ducting from one's growroom extraction fan to the top of this filter and have it filter out smells? The real advantage I can see here is that it already has a mesh or something inside the filter, stopping the carbon granules from getting out. A box of 12 of these things is like £15 (from Robert Dyas) so if it were to work it would be a cheap option.

Would it be as simple as hooking up some ducting to the end of one of these, or would more work be required? If so, how would one go about converting one of these filters for growroom use?

Many thanks,

billie

Edited by billie

hi there billy looks like a good idea !

im sure someone will be along in a short to clue you in i own a carbon filter and a rvk 100 this works well theres other threads on this site bout diy carbon filters have a look around im sure youll find something useful

peppi ;)

the idea seems sound

but way to complicated imo

activated carbon is dirt cheap from the pet shop, and making your own is a piece of piss.

if you only use 1 britta cartridge then the size is an issue due to airflow restriction on a 1 inch aperture with at least a 4 inch fane trying to suck through it.

there are already a couple of very good diy filter designs in use and there is 1 carbon water filter being used.

a britta will work but it seems like a lot of hard work

• 3 weeks later...

i made my filter very easy-buy carbon from pet shop. the one i have is in net bag and i just stuck in vent pipe. pc fan sucks air thru it.