Have i caught the same fish but bigger?

DaChunky1

Same fish?  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

That is the same fish, I know him well. His name is Barry, and he makes lovely devon scones.

On a serious size, its not uncommon that fish can lose upto 7-8 lbs during spawning, but I would say 4-5 lbs is average.

As to could it be a 30 yes/no. Does the water hold any other 30s what's the average size of fish. I'm my lake the record is 30 lb, I caught it about 2months later at 24.10.

This fish is capable of breaking the 30 lb mark again but will only do so if the bait continues to go in over the winter.

Some lakes will never be able to host massive fish due to low natural food levels or to high bio mass. :wallbash:

Then again some strains are bred for quick weight gain, bit short life

That is the same fish, I know him well. His name is Barry, and he makes lovely devon scones.

On a serious size, its not uncommon that fish can lose upto 7-8 lbs during spawning, but I would say 4-5 lbs is average.

As to could it be a 30 yes/no. Does the water hold any other 30s what's the average size of fish. I'm my lake the record is 30 lb, I caught it about 2months later at 24.10.

This fish is capable of breaking the 30 lb mark again but will only do so if the bait continues to go in over the winter.

Some lakes will never be able to host massive fish due to low natural food levels or to high bio mass. :wallbash:

Then again some strains are bred for quick weight gain, bit short life

I didnt get any scones off him :wallbash:

Biggest KNOWN fish in lake was out at 26.7. The average weight is 15lb.

I reckon they will feed right through winter if we keep bait trickling in. We had a great winter last year on this lake with pop ups. So that shows they were still active cuz we wernt looking for them, they came to us.

They aint fast growers. As you can see they are 100% Leney strain carp, stocked by Kevin Maddocks. BEST looking carp in the country i reckon :D

DC1

Same fish.

I once caught the same pike 3 times in the one day, poor thing only had one eye. I killed it after the 3rd time as it was obviously very sick. Sad I know but at the time I felt it was for the best, still do.

• Like 1

^obvuously so sick it was feeding at least 3 times a day

glad your not my doctor.

:(

Anyway,back to the carping,

Lifted this from some website I was browsing after the org post..

" Stocking 3-4lb carp into the Grange in 2006 these fish are now upper twentys as reported by fishery manager Kenny Gates, so this shows the potential. Blunham Angling bought the same size fish and within a year these fish were hitting mid double and in 2011 were being caught at 28lbs, and have the looks to match!"

Now I with the above rates(albeit a fast growing strain) and with this possible 4/5lb spawning weight loss I'd say it's deffo possible and am 100% (as you can be off piccys on the net!!) it's the same fish.

A lot of fisheries are stocking these 'simmos' or whatever, the strain is bred by a guy called Mark simmonds that grow very big,very quickly.

Great catch either way. :guitar:

I beleive a lot of the fast growth rates are because of the enriched baits being used nowadays.

Edited by stu sleeper 20vt
  • Like 1

You obviously don't fish for pike!

Most will not feed again for 24-48 hours after getting caught this fish was getting caught repeatedly and was obviously in distress!

Given that you were not there and didn't see the state or the distress the fish was in I feel it's degrading, unjust and ignorant to the decision I made to stop uneccessry suffering of a fish spieces of which I hold in high regard. You must remember it had been released twice, had one eye and was very tatty looking, would it have been better to release it for it to slowly die?

Perhaps before judging me you could look at the sport as a whole many would judge us sport anglers as cruel, sad individuals who go out our way to inflict pain and suffering on fish. Thanks for giving them ammunition!

• Like 1

very likely in a lake. My dad fished the same lake for 25 years and there was a carp in there that had at some point had a hook break off in its side. this had caused a very distinctive growth on the fish. I saw him catch that same fish multiple times, he reckons he caught it every year at least once for 20 years.. and stopped going to that lake having found the same fish dead in the shallows one year

Same fish.

I once caught the same pike 3 times in the one day, poor thing only had one eye. I killed it after the 3rd time as it was obviously very sick. Sad I know but at the time I felt it was for the best, still do.

If you felt it was the best thing for the fish then i see no problem with this.

I remember my mate catching a bream with a big bite taken out of if ass end. We were suprised it could swim, let alone feed. We talked about knocking it on head but decided not to as it was feeding.

Two days later we returned to fish and found the poor fucker washed up on a beachy part of the lake :(

DC1

• Like 2

Same fish.

If you felt it was the best thing for the fish then i see no problem with this.

I remember my mate catching a bream with a big bite taken out of if ass end. We were suprised it could swim, let alone feed. We talked about knocking it on head but decided not to as it was feeding.

Two days later we returned to fish and found the poor fucker washed up on a beachy part of the lake :(

DC1

All anglers sadly will face this choice at some point. I feel very strongly however about being judged on an internet forum by a fellow angler who wasn't present when I finally felt sympathetic enough to put the fish out of it's obvious misery!

We all have to make choices sometimes for whats best for a fish. You choose to give yours a chance, I felt in my case it didn't have a viable one. I have no regrets at my decision.

Chill Tev :skin_up::D

We know you aint running round like some phyco Pike killing nutter :badass: Just a missunderstanding i reckon. Stu will correct me if im wrong, but i think he read your post slightly wrong.

We could start a whole new depate on fish welfare and what individuals think is moraly right or wrong. We all react different in situations we are confronted with :realcool:

DC1

" obvuously so sick it was feeding at least 3 times a day

glad your not my doctor".

I think he read it fully then decided to fling in the off cuff sarcasm quoted above. Not only does his complete ignorance of pike and how they feed shine through but also how wet behind the ears he is with regards to fish welfare!

I have caught umpteen pike with trebles stuck in their throats preventing them from eating because their throats are completely closed off some I have saved others have had to be killed it's all part of responsible fishing and having a regard for both the welfare of your catch and the odds you give it on it's survival, to return a fish with an estimated 20-1 survival rate is not only cruel but bad practise!

It's also bad practise to make an off the cuff jibe at someone with around 30 years expierience of fishing for pike, who ran a fishing club for a number of years and who has the best interests of pike welfare in his heart!

Many of you guys worship carp in the way I worship pike which is good but I certainly wouldn't immediately condem anyones action with regard to putting one out of it's misery without either being present or knowing all the facts!

I ain't judging you tev,just commenting on an ill thought out post.

IMO your post needed to explain your reasons,not that you killed a one eye fish cos it kept being caught.(which is exactly how it read to me)

This is the Internet mate,getting wound up by someone irrelevant to you says a lot in itself.

Sorry dachunky.

I won't comment in this thread again.

Good luck with your quest.

I broke my lifetime ambition a few years back (over 10lb mullet)and fishing has lost its shine for me of late :(

Still recognise skills when a see them though :hippy:

Ps tev I only fish for 2 species,mullet in the summer,pike in the winter,I live in the lake district,wet behind the ears,who's making judgements about who?

Wind your neck in.

Edited by stu sleeper 20vt

So an expierienced angler with years of expierience who stated in the post that he thought the fish was "obviously very sick" made an ill thought out post, what part was ill thought out?

Right ladies,please step away from the handbags! :rofl:

Yeah Da Chunky thats the same fish,some size difference though,eh?

Am away out salmon fishin in just a wee bit. Nice fish man.

Tight lines

Salty

:pugwash:

• Like 3