Wildlife on weed

Punta Roja

4 hours ago, OldFord said:

@Arbre Medicinal   Stunning pic mate :wub:     for me stuff like this is also COTC material  !     Sadly not many others ,  nominated anyway sir :george:

Cheers dude, that's very considerate.

I'm actively encouraging the biodiversity at my plot, most critters are welcome, others I need to control, but I try to do as gently as possible. 

Edited by Arbre Medicinal
  • Like 2

large.IMG_0086.png

a nice native ladybird, very very welcome in stigs garden  :hippy:

new to this thread and what an amazing idea, 

big love all 

stig

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

An adult Egyptian Locust (Anacridium aegyptium) it's about 5/6cms long. 

These are the ones that can swarm but normally they are solitary.

They look like green grasshoppers with cosmic eyes in the larval stage but then they shed their skins and become these impressive creatures, I keep thinking they are dragonflies as they can properly fly and they make a load of noise when they do.

I don't make any effort to control them, they have eaten a few leaves but I can live with that.

large.IMG_6378.jpg

large.IMG_6377.jpg

• Like 13

On 02/08/2023 at 2:12 AM, Stigofthedank said:

large.IMG_0086.png

a nice native ladybird, very very welcome in stigs garden  :hippy:

new to this thread and what an amazing idea, 

big love all 

stig

I Luvs Lady Bugs :wub:         Find where they are flying back to ,  wont be far ,  will be a small numbered group  ,  a little bit of honey & hot water on a sppon ,   mix well and drop dots near the group :yep:       Then offer them your closen new house , gotta be close by !    .... drop some dots of the honey  and do the same every day for a for days ,  they will hang about :yep:

But man nor beast cant live alone on amber nectar ,  so they stay close by and man can they clean house :george:      Luv a Bug :wub:

Ideally if you want to keep them you need to have a portable little house ready for the on the spur of the moement kinda thing :yep:     

As we got the shitty  wet weather they got better pickings elsewhere and not our girls.   the joys of the gresat british summer lol  

Edited by OldFord
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Arbre Medicinal said:

An adult Egyptian Locust (Anacridium aegyptium) it's about 5/6cms long. 

These are the ones that can swarm but normally they are solitary.

They look like green grasshoppers with cosmic eyes in the larval stage but then they shed their skins and become these impressive creatures, I keep thinking they are dragonflies as they can properly fly and they make a load of noise when they do.

I don't make any effort to control them, they have eaten a few leaves but I can live with that.

large.IMG_6378.jpg

large.IMG_6377.jpg

Simply stunning capture moment my friend :george:       Wonderful critter ,  fascinating ,  and gotta say ,  the plants looking super healthy too ,  big love for the outdoor sunnier climate :wub:

Love seeing how the other half live ,  sundshine is indeed the only true magic in outdoor grwoing  ,  quite envious mucker.   :yep:

I did offer Mrs OF and overseas preperty option for our little patch of heaven  but she has chosen to remain , so goodness knows lol  

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, OldFord said:

I Luvs Lady Bugs :wub:         Find where they are flying back to ,  wont be far ,  will be a small numbered group  ,  a little bit of honey & hot water on a sppon ,   mix well and drop dots near the group :yep:       Then offer them your closen new house , gotta be close by !    .... drop some dots of the honey  and do the same every day for a for days ,  they will hang about :yep:

But man nor beast cant live alone on amber nectar ,  so they stay close by and man can they clean house :george:      Luv a Bug :wub:

Ideally if you want to keep them you need to have a portable little house ready for the on the spur of the moement kinda thing :yep:     

As we got the shitty  wet weather they got better pickings elsewhere and not our girls.   the joys of the gresat british summer lol  

You are a wealth of knowledge @OldFord

not many times I log in on here and don’t learn something!! Amazing,

off there tomorrow so will be extra vigilant and see if I can find out where they hangouts, love a proper English ladybug !!

have a problem with the American ones where I am 

I prefer to see wildlife alive but finding dead things allows you to get a really good look. 

This is a female Rhinocerous Beetle (Oryctes nasicornis) I found her in one of my pots, she was already dead when I found her, she's now gone into the compost pile.

Rhinocerous beetles are part of the Scarab family

large.IMG_6385.jpg

For scale

large.IMG_6386.jpg

Edited by Arbre Medicinal
  • Like 6

This is what the Egyptian locust looks like in its larval stage, it's really easy to mistake them for grasshoppers. They have the most amazing looking eyes but I missed the focus on this one.

large.IMG_6301.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Mostly hear about Lepidoptera issues in the US or Spain, but apparently there are still some (very hungry) ones in UK…

large.650b0af38cb48_RWxUELF2.jpglarge.caterpilla.jpg

Be interesting to see if any plants seem more susceptible / resistant.   

• Like 11