Pictures drawn under the influence

DaveDee

i need to learn how to post pics , i did 3 paintings for each of my kids , they quite big 75 x 50 cm painted them all very stoned all very colourfull with birds and lizards and bugs n beetles and swirley spirals wnd stuff . i will try to get sum photo,s up soon .hope you like them peace n, love.

• 1 month later...

In answer to your question, dave, of 'how do you do that', I think you were getting there in figuring it out yourself.

I reckon it's to do with the silent, creative right side of your brain becoming dominant when you're wrecked. Basically it's about not critically thinking what you're drawing and allowing your mind to cease its analytical left brain chatter that enables you to draw better. Check out Betty Edwards book, 'Drawing on the right side of the brain' ( found cheaply everywhere) if you want to give it a go in a more structured way. I've tried it and it's quite freaky when you find yourself drawing well. Most of the examples in her book show that anyone can go from childish drawings to respectable artwork in a matter of hours. She doesn't mention the herb though ;)

Here's a wee bit about it; theory of right brain drawing

• 3 months later...

In answer to your question, dave, of 'how do you do that', I think you were getting there in figuring it out yourself.

I reckon it's to do with the silent, creative right side of your brain becoming dominant when you're wrecked. Basically it's about not critically thinking what you're drawing and allowing your mind to cease its analytical left brain chatter that enables you to draw better. Check out Betty Edwards book, 'Drawing on the right side of the brain' ( found cheaply everywhere) if you want to give it a go in a more structured way. I've tried it and it's quite freaky when you find yourself drawing well. Most of the examples in her book show that anyone can go from childish drawings to respectable artwork in a matter of hours. She doesn't mention the herb though ;)

Here's a wee bit about it; theory of right brain drawing

Hi Thanks I just seen this post.

Funny you should mention that book. I bought it in '96 and it was an enormous help in getting me to draw well, things like portraits and figurative stuff

As for the other stuff, I used to find that creative ideas were just there, all I had to do was look, but now, after years on psych meds, all I see is emptiness when I look, unless I am stoned of cours.

I love that bloke on the video, the doodler. I saw a few of his vids. Nice bloke.

• 1 month later...

No worries. :)

I think a lot of it is state of mind. Since there's some degree of "doodle" in what you were doing, try watching this lad - he says his thoughts out loud while doodling.

I tried something similar today and came up with a quarter page sized doodle that looks pretty cool - and doodling is something I can't usually step out of my way enough to do - I just end up trying to draw things which kinda defeats the point.

Give it a go sober and see how you get on.

Sorry to drag this up, but I have seen tons more of this guy's videos, and it's been a real pleasure watching his art expand.

He's a lovely bloke - a real inspiration and nice presonality, and I just wanted to say thanks for introducing me to him.