Soap And Water Spray For Mites

sibannac

I have a nasty infestation of the little bastards and was wondering will a spray of washing up liquid and water get rid of em or will it just make em sparkle. I cant get into town to buy anything so HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP please thanks.

Its in a pot in soil/ferts outside away from my hydro set up to stop cross contamination etc.

:headpain:

Hi Sibannac,

I got the same thing and bought some stuff to do'em with and it seems to be just soap.

The soap breaks down the waxy coating that the mites have all over their bodies and once this has gone they dehydrate very rapidly.

I'm not sure about dosage but I'm sure a similar dose to what is used for aphids would work.

If you have buds it might be a good idea to just sponge the top and bottom of the leaves rather that go at it with a sprayer.

all the best ,

Bu.

was wondering will a spray of washing up liquid and water get rid of em or will it just make em sparkle..

lol

I got the same thing and bought some stuff to do'em with and it seems to be just soap.

The soap breaks down the waxy coating that the mites have all over their bodies and once this has gone they dehydrate very rapidly.

Although it smells soapy and has that texture is a special formulation for plants, used wideley in horticulture, OT1 discusses in his article on mites. But it isnt the same as Fairy, i dont think they would like that much.

I had the borg recently and have much luck with neem oil. I tried the soapy sprays to no avail, the neem sorted it quickly and didnt hurt the plants.

Good luck man. :stoned:

Unfortunately as i understand it Neem oil is now banned, there is a problem with the law that prevents it being sold...

New law temporarily stops Neem Oil (insect repellent)

Unfortunately, Neem Oil - a natural insect repellent - will no longer be available. According to the Pesticide Safety Directorate, Neem must be registered for use as a Pest Control method before it can be used any more.

Please do not worry if you have any leftover supplies, it is not an issue with Neem itself rather the law now requires Neem based insecticides to be registered. Hopefully, this is only a temporary situation, and it will return to the market place soon.

Unfortunately as i understand it Neem oil is now banned, there is a problem with the law that prevents it being sold...

243518[/snapback]

Did they ban it overnight lol Cause I just bought some yesterday online from a company in Cheshire, good price too, £9.90 for 500ml. Just do a search at Google and you will find lots of companys seeling neem oil here in the UK :yinyang:

NEEM OIL

Edited by scottyDog

Washing up liquid isnt really the thing to use. I made a similar mistake initially trying to get rid of aphids. The stuff useful for insects has fatty acids in. washing up liquid etc are IIRC detergents and not soap and can be bad for plants.

Edited by mickle